Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to casting
 Login/Join

posted
I was offered a set up to start casting, know nothing about it but ordered some books and found out that it is fun.
I got the lead pot 11# Lymon electric 20 different dies Lymon some BP balldies and bullet dies LEE, five, ladle RCBS, all the punches and a Lymon sizing press, 40 sticks of various lubs, some flux, stiring ladle two, 20,000 gas cks of various sizes two Lymon large handle , two small handles and 500# of lead for $450. Cast a few 45's 357, 9mm, and went to the range found it to be very accrate and it is more fun than I ever thought. I shoot to be able to reload, now I will shoot to cast. Just another obsesion is all I need.

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the addiction. dancing

Sounds like you got an excellent deal!

Two suggestions: First of all make friends with the local tire store. A reliable supply of wheelweights is imperetive. Secondly: I suggest to everyone that when you have piles of supplies (whether it be wheelweights or anything else) cast up ingots. Spend a few evenings cleaning everything up and have it ready to go in marked ingots. A Sharpie marker on a cool ingot works well.

Again, welcome to the addiction, you and I are in about the same boat. I didn't start out as well as you but now am completely out of control. The wife is less than pleased with the three trash cans hiding on the side of the house full of wheelweights. And for some reason I can't get her to understand why anyone would need a ton of pure lead. Go figure. Confused

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My wife is glad I have the set up as she knows where I am at eather in the shop or at the range trying out a new load. I have caught the bug bad as I am now reading Lymons book on casting and Corbin's book on swaging, another habit due to firearms.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The one thing mosts folks have trouble with starting out, and I was guilty as the next guy, is not getting the mold good and hot before casting. A cold mold has to run alot of bullets through it before the mold gets up to temp enough to completely fill out.

Rest the mold on the edge of the pot while it wamrs up, and once the alloy is good and liquid, dip the edge of the molt in the melt for a minute or two.

A good hot mold will cast good bullets right off the bat. A cold mold can take 50 cycles to warm up.

Cast a few thousand and you'll get the hang of it dancing

I haven't gotten bit by the swaging bug, when I look at the cash outlay I think, I could buy another rifle for that.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget ventilation ! Lots of it or your brain will fry !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote