Find
Notify
Tools

Ricochet Not Quite True
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
John,

In the sense that most people are familiar with magnets, zinc is not magnetic. But according to the latest studies by scientist everything is magnetic...the magnetic force just has to be strong enough to reaction with such materials we normally say aren't. It is kind of like electricity and insulators. There is no such thing as an insulator, lets just say some materials don't conduct the flow of electricity very well. Now if the electrical current is powerful enough, anything will conduct electricity. Such is, in a generalization, everything is magnetic. I can't remember what university discovered this, I want to say one in Florida. They have a very powerful electromagnet (costs them $180,000 a month to power it) and they picked up a frog with it on I believe the History Channel.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Betcha it was the iron in his hemoglobin in his blood -- and in his bone marrow, let's not forget that dense frothy solid site where the red blood cells are constructed.

<grin>

Oldfeller

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Yeah, every electron responds to magnetic fields. But you still won't pick up a zinc wheelweight with a magnet. Even a superconducting one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

They may be able to hover it, who knows, I doubt they tried it. Sure would be fun to play with don't you think?

Joe

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Definitely it would be a great toy!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John...did you ever pick up a CZ52 pistol?

Joe

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Yep. Passed it along to my son.

Nice shooter. Impractical to handload for. Can't find the brass. Bitch to reassemble after cleaning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

Midway has Starline brass on sale for $15.99. I had no trouble at all getting brass. I found it easy to load cast for, but I bit loud. I bet you're talking about getting the barrel out of the slide, then back in. If you make a punch to fit that hole in in the breech block for disassembly it's quite alot easier, if you don't, like you mentioned it's a bear.

I have some milsurp rifles I may be selling, pm and and I'll tell you what they are.

Joe

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I don't mean trouble buying brass. Finding it after shooting is the problem. It goes to the moon!

The problem with reassembly is getting the barrel to go through the bushing at the front with the spring under compression. Only ways I've found to do it are to insert a rod in the muzzle through the bushing and have a partner lift up on it while pushing the barrel into place, or do the same and push the rod down against a table or some such to take the place of the partner. In any case, it's a bitch!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out how these guys use powerful magnets to shrink quarters down to dime size...

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I levitated a cat once, and I didn't have a superconducting magnet either. N. S. Sherlock

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote