New
Find
Notify
Tools

The conventional wisdom & sizing CB's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All, Today I had occasion to fire my "as issued" Arg. Mau. with radically resized CB's. By radically, I mean sized from .324" -> .314" -> .313" with no loss of accuracy. I did this because performance with Lyman #314299 was OK, but not stellar, whereas performance with the "downsized" CB's was stellar, but not OK. As Whitworth aka "Buckshot" has written about this several times on the Shooters Talk CB Board, and I, being quite the skeptic, have tried it several times (in the Arg. Mau.) with excellent results. The conventional wisdom says sizing by more than say .003" will destroy accuracy. My results and Buckshot's suggest otherwise. To do this you need a lubed and gas checked CB, a Lee press-mounted sizing die of a given diameter, a robust press, strong bench and possibly a RCBS or Lyman lubrisizer with an appropriate die. I think you know the rest. Today's results involved the custom-made Lee Buckshot 8mm CB, which I first sized to .324" (for use in my 8mm Mau.), then to .314" in the Lee die, and finally to .313" in my Lyman lubrisizer. The load was 21gr. XMP 5744; OAL was 2.68". Nine shots went into 2.5" x 2.5" @ 100 yds. (A flyer opened the group considerably) with five going into 1.12" x 1.12" with unweighed bullets. Btw, this is quite similar to what I've obtained before with that particular rifle, but a different, radically resized CB. If you have a rifle with a difficult-to-fit bore, you may want to consider Buckshot's method. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Argentine engineer carbine will shoot the 311299 into just about an inch at 100 yds...Too bad it doesn't have peepsights on it.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
My Argentine engineer carbine will shoot the 311299 into just about an inch at 100 yds...Too bad it doesn't have peepsights on it.

Joe

Yose should cut that chuck into smaller pieces, then maybe it would be halfway believeable.

Posts: 57 | Location: Far North Western Mongolia | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote