New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Happened???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday, I decided to empty one of my Lee bottom pour pots, to change alloy. Plugged it in, and promptly forgot all about it. This morning (woke up about 0400 - it was the first thing I thought of), I went to the garage to empty it. At first, I thought it was turned down so low that it hadn't melted (poor lighting), but when I got to where I could see, it was about half full of "yellow dirt". I'm guessing this stuff was oxidized lead, but really don't know. The pot was about 3/4 full of what I call pure lead. When dumped, it seemed to be about 1/2 lead, and about 1/2 "dirt". What was this stuff? Oxidized lead?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not good!!! Although im no expert, I do know that vaporized lead, arsenic etc is VerrrrrY toxic. I believe the process starts around 875-900 deg, I could be wrong. Good thing you weren't there when this was occuring.

Posts: 13 | Location: Taxachusetts | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yellow lead oxide-PbO {litharge} is not a health problem unless you ingest or breathe it.

The melting point of litharge is 888 degrees celsius.

Red lead oxide-Pb3O4 melting point 500 degrees celsius

Black lead oxide-PbO2 melting point 290 degrees
celsius

Any of the lead oxides can be returned to metalic lead by melting with carbon which produces metalic lead and carbon monoxide.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but I don't think I'll try to reclaim it... However, I do have some old Casenite, that would probably work [Big Grin] Nah! I just dumped it, and cleaned the pot; which was my original intention. Oh, yeah, and no worries about the vapors, garage door open, and fan agoin', anytime the pots are on.>>>>>>>>>>Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The term is "dross" formation. It occurs often in soldering machines. Many of the solder manufacturers sell a substance to mix into the "pot" to change it over to a nice pourable metal. I believe McMaster Carr has it or go directly to Kester Solder.The floating oxides just skim off. Probably not worth the effort but here it is.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote