Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cast bullet terminal performance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Aloha David,
Thanks for the extremely comprehensived explanation. I have never used cast bullets on game, but am seriously considering using hard cast after learning more from hunters as yourself. As a professional hunter, I use a rifle often on feral pig, sheep, and wild cattle. My cast bullet rifle choices are an old 92 Win. converted to 44 mag. for pig and sheep and a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 for cattle.

Due to my ignorance of cast bullet technology, I have just avoided it's use.

Again, thanks for the input. I will try some proper cast bullets on my next animal control cull hunt in two weeks.

Geoff

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the company claims. All I can tell you are my own experiences.
I don't keep a book on everything I have shot with cast, or any other bullets in the past, but will give you a short rundown of what I remember right off the top of my head.
3 bucks, 6.5X55, Lyman bullet. Quick kills.
1 elk. same bullet, close range, same result.
1 elk, .308, 170 gr. cast bullet.
2 bucks, .308 ditto,
1 buck, .30-40 Krag. same bullet
one doe, .45-70, 500 gr. bullet.
6 bucks, .44 mag., kieth SWC
2 antelope, ditto.
1 buck, .358 winchester, 277 gr. bullet
1 buffalo, ditto.
Hundreds of gophers with most of the above, plus various coyotes, badgers, and stray cats.
All with flat meplates, except the .45-70 kill. It was also the longest tracking job. That was back before I knew about proper bullet design for cast bullet hunting.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Unforunately I haven't had a chance to take big game with cast bullets, but I've cast thousands of them, and shot thousands down range, primarily in my 480 Ruger revolver.

I can say that at revolver velocities, that the meplat doesn't have an effect on accuracy inside 100 yards. Supposedly the WFN shape, which has a meplat .090" smaller than the bullet dia, .385" in the case of .475" bullets, won't shoot accurately unless pushed 1200 fps. Well, my WFN mold makes a 460 gr bullet from ww's, and that should also negatively affect accuracy, as it is a long for caliber bullet. Despite what the experts say, it'll group 5 into 1" at 50 yds when leaving the muzzle @ 1050 fps. A fellow 480 shooter took that bullet loaded to 1100 fps from his 480 to the John Linebaugh summer clinic a few years back. It penetrated 38" of wet newsprint in one test, and in another test, 2-3" of heavy bone, and ~12" of newsprint.

I've also shot the LFN desings, .345" meplat in .475 bullets, and a 1/2 way meplat of .365" dia. All of them would group 1" at 50 yds for five shots.

A buddy had a custom mold made in 45 caliber that drops 340 gr, and the meplat is the same as a 475 WFN, .385". He's given away these bullets to many shooters, and in a hot 45 colt or 454, it is both an accurate bullet, and has performed will on game.

I think you'll find more difference animal to animal in regards to terminal performance then fiddling with the meplat by a few thousands one way or another. Just get a bullet that shoots accurately and place your shot. A 44 mag carbine with a 280-300 gr cast bullet is about on par with a 454 casull pistol. It'll have no problem punching a hole clear through the game you are after, and producing a ~1 to 1 1/2" dia wound channel.

I have taken several spruce hens with a mild load in my 480, 310 gr @ 700 fps. Through sighting errors they've been body shots. Entrance is caliber size, exit is about 1 1/2" dia, but almost no meat loss.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote