New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifling Twists and the 30-210-HBC-A
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Plinking the 'puter this morn which started after reading a post by Tom Meyers on MSN BPCR. This posting went into detail on spin rates vs various twists vs bullet lengths.

So I'm working the numbers on the my HBC design. For you owners of 12 twist barrels methinks the news is good. Starting the bullet at >=1700 fps assuming a BC of .50 and very moderate elevation about sea level this design should fly to 600 yds fine before going trans-sonic, or slower than the speed of sound [1100 ish fps, depending on altitude]. If it'll go under 1100 and retain accuracy is the question. Now understand please.... this applies ONLY to 12 twist barrels.... And the overwhelming majority of 30's are 10's

And.. nothin' cut in stone saying this bullet won't fly thru the sound barrier and retain true flight. Just too many variables to DE-tale... many of which have to do with your handloading technique.

But in NORMAL COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE twisted 30's... she's gonna fly... FAR.

BTW.. I think the BC will easily exceed .50 More on the order of .515 or so. Which of course just means flatter flight.

Happy Turkey Day to All! We have much to be Thankful for.....

[ 11-27-2003, 19:42: Message edited by: aladin ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote