New
Find
Notify
Tools

oven thermometeres
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone point me in the right direction to where i can buy a themometer to use in an oven to oven heat treat bullets
im oven heat treating my 416 cast proj , in a little electrical fan forced oven , and i need to get a themometer to get the oven/bullets to the correct temp for consistencey from lot to lot

any help would be much appreciated

Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Daniel, I found that the bullets were the best thermometer when I was oven HT. I simply put a few of my discarded bullets from the same batch in a seperate wire basket and placed them in the oven using the slump test to determine heat required. I have a handy graph in my RCBS cast bullet hand book that gives aproximate temp's for the various antimony and tin percentages in the alloy. I would set the oven to the recomended temp for 10 min and then increase in 5 degree rises for ten min till I got 'slump' and back off a 5 degree from that. This gives the best HT Never used a thermometer other than the oven marking and that only as a guide.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Garry
thanks, never thought of tacking heat treating cast bullets that way
getting my self an oven this week so will give it a try

Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote