New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New Win 1886 with cast Gas Check ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks for the help folks it is appreciated !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
On the contrary, gas checks add a good bit of expense and trouble to the bullet making process, and at the velocities I use in .45-70 (up to 1800 FPS or so) they add nothing.

I don't think either jacketed bullets or gas checks wear out barrels. That's hot powder gases. A .45-70 uses much lower pressures and has much more rapid gas expansion than the hot bottlenecked cartridges, so bore erosion is minimal and it'll wear for a long, long time. Cleaning wear's going to be more significant than shooting wear for most people, I think.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Ricochet
I would have to agree with you to the degree that the caster's ability produce as humanly perfect plain base bullets is possible, is the deciding factor. I've found that, for me I can achieve better accuracy with gas check bullets, then I can with plain base bullets. Most likely you are a far better and precise caster then I, which would account for your success with plain base bullets.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote