New
Find
Notify
Tools

? on felix lube (cold weather mix)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I checked the main recipe over at castpics and did not really find an answer. I have made and used FWFL for about two years now and have nothing but absolute success, however in the cold weather and shootin my sixguns with Keiths (square grooved) I do get a small amount of leading just ahead of forcing cone. This does not exist in the summer months. shining all the way in july. My thoughts are the lube being just a tad stiffer combined with the near square lube groove is the inertia when bullet travels thru the throats and into forcing cone that the lube is still hangin on? once starting the spin cycle everything is getting slung around and doing its job. I came to this conclusion also with a little testing on different cast bullets with Radius grooves (LBT) the problem does not occur. Sorry about writing a book to ask this question!!. I already have 15+ 1x4 sticks of FWFL and I want to take three of them and remelt to soften the mix. How much Vaseline would you add per stick to get it about 25% on the softer side of 50/50 al/bw? I was thinking approx 1 tbsp. Your opinions please. Thanks and sorry again for the book.

Posts: 36 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
JML, your synopsis is correct! Dig or pour out about a tube's worth, say 4 ounces. Vaseline will work, but won't lower the viscosity enough. You need to do this, without thinning the lube too much. So, try a half teaspoon (for starters) of, now get this, Coconut oil. It has the lowest viscosity of all usuable "natural" oils, and will take down the total lube's viscosity a surprising amount. Get this stuff at a health food store. (Besides, it leaves NO scum on the roof of your mouth. On the downside, it has LOTS of cholesterol, so use it sparingly as a food. Make popcorn with it, for example.) Now, if the lube is not thick enough after adding the coconut oil, mix in a half teaspoon of motor mica by hand, using rubber gloves to keep the mica uniform throughout. You can stir the mica in, but it will drop to the bottom of the mix while cooling, so no go without mixing afterwards. Stuff the composite into a spare luber machine, after several cylinders of hand-jobs work out OK. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So your saying if the lead does not kill my sixguns the high level of cholesterol from the lube will!!! Gee cant win for losing. Lol, Sorry had to throw that in there. Thank you very much for the info. I am off to the store for coconut oil and gloves for the HAND part.
Jim

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Did accuracy/precisness change, or just slight bit of leading.
Cleaning up a spot of leading is NOT a problem.
A change in accuracy . . . that is another matter.
LouisB

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy did not decline any. Its just the fact that I know there is something in my bores that I dont care to see or know about. Rarely do I shoot at a public range most is done in my own back yard but when I do and folks whine about shooting cast bullets in there guns that it leads the barrels. I just like to hand them mine (empty) and a bore light and GRIN from ear to ear. SEE ANY LEAD???? Thats what I thought!! now lets look at your favorite condom shooter. Is usually my reply. I will give an update as soon as I get the lube re-formulated with the coconut oil and get some shootin done in next couple of days. Its gonna kill me to melt some of those purty lube sticks down. Sniff,sniff, More to follow. Thanks for the reply.
Jim
ps. Hell while I am at it I might as well make another whole batch of 6 sticks. That ought to keep her shopping all day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right about no lead! I will never shoot all the condom bullets I have left. Nothing but cast in my revolvers. I made the Felix lube and did not add parafin, preferring soft and sticky lube. I have no leading even when bitter cold.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, The larger bores are the ones that seem most effected. 45,475. Same here cast all the way. The gooeyer the better!!. Two of my molds have grooves that are everything but 90 degree angles so not much inertia put on the lube to leave its home. have a good one.
Jim

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
The viscosity was increased in the MOAS lube to cover longer rifle barrels. Might be too much for some applications, like ice cold revolters and real high speed small boolits. It is much easier to drop the viscosity rather than increase it after a lube is made. In general, only add motor mica for revolters, and only when necessary because of possible back winds when shooting. Never let mica touch your face, and that's why the use of gloves. Some folks are even hand sensitive to the stuff. Like moly, it is hard to wash off of anything, including skin. For me, it is worse than a bunch of mosquito bites. ALWAYS shoot down wind when using it. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is no cholesterol in coconut oil. Coconut is a vegetable oil, whereas cholesterol derives from animal fats.
A vegetable oil like palm is highly saturated, but also contains no cholesterol.

Posts: 1 | Location: NC | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
XND, you are indeed correct. I was thinking of saturated fat and was thinking LDL. Mistake? No doubt. Just got back from an early morning blood test that day for those kinds of tests. I'm on drugs for this. ... felix

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
You're both right. Coconut oil is high (for vegetable oil) in saturated fat, which will raise your LDL ("bad cholesterol"), but it contains no cholesterol itself. Palm kernel oil is even worse, dietarily speaking.

Hey, cholesterol is a waxy substance in pure form. Wonder how it'd work as a boolit lube?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If cholesterol works as a lube we will be in good shape, most of us have too much and we would donate to any caster.

Ed B

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me! Now we need to appoint someone to collect and bottle it. Like sperm oil, I bet it would work well, but the problem is gathering it. I always wondered how they found enough guys to jack off the whales.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Who said it was GUYS?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got a point there, Ricochet. You may have put your finger on the reason women were considered bad luck on the 19th Century whalers. "Call me, Ishmael" takes on a whole new meaning, eh?

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
"THAR SHE BLOWS!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Avast, you lubers!"

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
"A ho there, mates!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Secure the pizzle mast!"

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
"Hotten the bitches!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
"She's sounding, she's sounding!"