New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Bullet load for 300 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have cast up a pile of Lyman 180gr GC for my 300 H&H. Any suggestions for a good starter load using a slowish pistol powder? I use South African powders, but don't worry, I can figger an equivalent.

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
4895 if you can get it, with a filler.. VERY light loads.

Jeffe

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete - if you're willing to juggle loads a bit, we have quite a few 900-1300fps plinking loads on our site [look under levergun data/studies] for the 300 Win Mag (an 87gr capacity case vs 81 for the H&H). The data is for 170gr 311041's - again a little bit off of what you were asking for, but close enough that the data might provide a viable starting point. All the loads use pistol powders, though given the size of the case, most are toward the fast end. YMMV.
do shoot straight (damn bullets),
greg
www.gmdr.com

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I used to have a 300 Winchester on the 40X Remington. This case is a little bigger than your 300 H&H but here is what I used for years and years to get almost boring accuracy from that rifle: The NEI version of Lyman 311041 (NEI 178-308-GC) at about 185 grains and 24 grains IMR 4227, standard rifle primers, no fillers of any kind. This combination reliably shot groups of 5 X 0.800 for as long as I cared to fire the rifle. Not match-winning accuracy for these days of rather amazing BR group shooters, but I enjoyed the pure utter reliability of the combination.

Good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the input,

I will give our equivalent to 4227 a squirt this weekend.

Greg, nice and useful site!

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote