THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Liquid Alox,- Max. velocity before leading ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hallo guys.

-What's the MAXIMUM velocity of a cast bullet (-or a paperpatched bullet-) with Lee Liquid Alox,
before we see signs of leading..?

Chr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends, it depends, it depends! I hate the stuff and it leads my revolvers at any velocity. I never got accuracy with it either. Some make it work very fast, some use it with slow loads.
My preference is to spray it in car doors or under fenders.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
(-or a paperpatched bullet-)

No leading with paper patch. Velocity about nearly equal to jacketed. Some folks get better accuracy with paper patched than with jacketed. Too much (which is very little) LLA on paper patched destroys accuracy!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I have a long bore riding 162gn silouette bullet for my 7x57. I lube the drive bands with my own bee's wax - vaseline mix and after seating the bullet, dip the bore-riding nose in thinned LLA.I place them in a special rack to dry but dab the "nose drip" off after a couple hours then leave to dry. I run these at 2415fps over 39gn ADI 2209 ( H4350). Good hunting accuracy ( 1 1/2 in @ 100yds) and no leading.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just love the stuff but then the fastest I pushed bullets with it is 1400fps.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it fits the throat and bore it does OK. If it doesn't no lube fixes that.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I never tested it, and as others said, it depends, same as any other lube as leading is related to rifling twist, bullet alloy, bullet sizing, bullet hardness, the pressure of the load, dimensions of the bore, and the phase of the moon Wink

I will say that the most accurate group I ever fired out of my 480 revolver was a 310 gr lafn bullet that was unsized, lubed with liquid alox and with 9.7 gr unique clocked 950 fps. 100 yd 3 shot group was 1 1/2", verticle dispersions of 1/2" and strung horizontally. Hence I think the gun would have shot the load more accurately than I could.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I run these at 2415fps over 39gn ADI 2209 ( H4350). Good hunting accuracy ( 1 1/2 in @ 100yds) and no leading.

Wow! That I would like to hear more about!

How hard/soft is the alloy? The layer od LLA can't be too thick so the stuff must be doing its job - perhaps in conjunction with residual 'other stuff' in the bore. I don't use LLA but I did start out using Lee Alox in my own lube mix that I call 'waxy lube'. I used parafin wax to harden the lube to suite my purposes then started adding STP but also started using whatever bullet lube I had lying around.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
303Guy. I use lino as I have lots on hand and get the best accuracy although I can do almost the same with 90/10 ww/lino.
The LLA is cut with turps to thin it so it is just holding on to leave a film after the drip and dry. I did this as the bore riding portion is .446 long against 2x.136 for the drive bands + the GC. My base lube is 75/25 bees wax/vaseline. This stays on and is hard enough to work at this velocity although I use it at 2/3 to a 1/3 for slower loads. This has been a real learning curve as the bore riding part of the bullet is .276 and my bore is .2755 so I had an unused 358sizer die turned out to except a .275 neck sizer button so I can size the first few mill of the nose so the bullet will load to correct OAL ( that is so the bullet base neck-shoulder relationship is correct) I made a block I hold in between the top punch stem and the sizer base to get correct nose sizing length. This allows the bullet to just engage the rifling when chambered but allows ejecting of a live round without de-bulleting. It was because the remainder of the bullet nose was .0005 bigger than the bore that I saw the need to nose lube. I use a Lee die I lapped out to .2855 so there is only .0005 sizing of the drive bands as well for minimum disruption to the as cast bullet. This is so much fun.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that, Von Gruff. It is similar to what I am trying to do. Good to know it works!

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a 330 gr boolit out of my SBH at 200 yards. Felix lube, 21 gr of 296, Fed 150 primer. 1-5/16" group.
The gun will also hold 1-1/4" at 100 yards with the RD 265 gr boolits, Felix lube, 22 gr of 296 and the Fed 150 primer.
I can not do this at 50 yards with any Alox lube.
Lube is as important as any other thing you do.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, I forgot, the Lee RD boolit is a tumble lube design but it gets lubed with Felix. I won't go near it with LLA.