Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 to 44
 Login/Join

posted
Ok can i take a 45 and size it down to a 44 and will it work? Have 45 mould but a friend wants 44 can it be done.

Posts: 8 | Location: Henryetta OK | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming .454 or .452 as cast going down to .432 or .429 it COULD be done. Lube it well with a minimum sizing operation and size down in several steps.

Problems would be in getting the sizing dies in the right steps, and the finished product would be of the right diameter, but would most likely suffer a bit. But it COULD be done.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I would not suggest it. The lube grooves would probably be non-existant after the super squash. You could always have your friend spring for an inexpensive Lee mold.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With Lee Mold so cheap, or buying pre cast bullets, I would go that route rather than taking the extreme sizing route.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ok can i take a 45 and size it down to a 44 and will it work? Have 45 mould but a friend wants 44 can it be done.

Sure you can, if you do it right. Some folks do it with a lubrisizer in several steps. I have never done that. I think the key is to get the lube grooves filled first in order to keep the lube grooves. I have a 38/40 and no 40 cal mold. Even if I did, it would be too small as I need a minimum .405". The lightest large mold I have is a Lyman 452488 which casts about 197 grains at .454-.455". The way I reduce those for the 38/40 is to dip boolit in melted FWFL and cool before sizing. Messy but effective, even to the point of helping the boolit to self center on it�s trip thru the push thru sizer. The sizer needs to have a long slow taper. I am not using a Lee push thru. They would prob'ly work but I have no inbetweeners and I find they are too abrupt and rough to do that radical resizing in one step. Am I losing the lube grooves. No. Are the lands bottoming in the lube grooves? Not even close. Regards, Woody

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might work.

I've taken .446" bullets down to .429" boolits for the .444 and they shot less than 2" at 100 yards.

Lube first and then take it down in as small steps as you have sizers for.

The lube grooves will suffer and the bullet will elongate slightly but it will shoot all right.

Much better to trade for a .44 mould and eliminate all of the question and hassle./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If he's really a friend, Have HIM buy you a mold in whatever form you both decide would be best. He buys the mold, you do the casting. The next step would be to get him scrounging wheelweights!

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote