New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lazy Krag question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody know offhand the maximum OAL that will feed through a US Krag magazine? Somebody gave me some Leadheads gas check boolits that I am going to try in mine. They look like the RCBS silhouette pattern. They're pretty hard, and my rifle's bore is not exactly pristine, so I don't have high hopes. Still, cabin fever...

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fourarmed,

I used to shoot a 1899 Krag in our regular high power matches.Wouldn't think of using condom's, so I tried several cast design's. 3.070 seems to function well. Most load books say OAL 3.09 or a little less. That long 30-40 neck let you shoot almost any cast boolit up to 220gr. Used to use 29gr of BLc2 for match shooting, but found out later that 28gr of 30-31 did just as well with almost any of the 180 to 220gr cast. the only load I ever had a chance to run through a cronograph was 29gr IMR-4350. It was a butt dragg'n 1340FPS, but boy did it ever shoot!!! .......Geo

Posts: 57 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, George. I put together some test loads. 20/2400 at OAL 3.02", which barely hides the lube groove, and 26/3031 at the same length. This bullet touches the rifling at 3.15", so I'm not sanguine about the accuracy. As long as the range is icebound, though, it doesn't matter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Icebound!!!! Heck I thought you kids down in Kansas would be doing your Spring plowing by now. It warmed up to -4 below here today.

For just plain bench shoot'n 3.150 was my AOL with the 311467 sized to .3095. ....Geo

Posts: 57 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>Icebound!!!! Heck I thought you kids down in Kansas would be doing your Spring plowing by now. It warmed up to -4 below here today.<

You guys are so negative.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fourearmed, It's a bit like M.A.S.H. was. Trying to make do in an nasty situation. Nobody like to see it colder than hel.. So you make fun with tongue in cheek comments about it, Or move up to Grand Forks or Bismark North Dakota and brag how nice it is at -45. Come to think of it I haven't seen any posts by Kevin up in ND. Maybe he didn't make it throught the last cold spell....Geo

one of us
posted Hide Post
He's just hibernating til spring, about april they come out rubbing their eyes and scratching. <G>

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine in Minneapolis says "50 below keeps the riffraff out."