Find
Notify
Tools

cast vs jackets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted
I have a question that I haven't been able to answer myself yet. Given all else being equal, powder, case, primer, bullet weight etc. Which is going to have the higher velocity: cast or jacketed? I plan to test it out myself later this summer. The other difference will be bullet shape. Thanks in advance. Smiler

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have almost always found cast boolits faster with the same loads due to less friction in the bore. But this might not always hold true. Certain powders can develop more pressure and increase velocity with the extra friction of a jacketed bullet. I have also found in some calibers that I can't use the same powders and loads with cast because pressure increases more then it did with jacketed. Seems contrary to the less friction idea. Boolit alloy can affect this too. So I can't make a blanket statement on this at all. Each and every caliber and bullet used would need to be tested over a chronograph and pressure signs checked. So, I am going to say that I don't really know!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of with everyone else on this one.

In theory, by creating less resistance through the use of more easily engraved alloys, CBs should give less pressure to one's loads. And, also in theory only, less pressure on the same base area (for less time, as the lower friction is allowing the bullet to move on down the bore with less resistance and quickly enlarging the "chamber") should give LOWER velocities.

BUT, in practice, I don't find it any problem to get 2,300+ fps with 215 gr. cast bullets from a 1.5" case in a .30 bore with no noticeably high pressures to speak of. I sure wouldn't feel all that confident in even trying that stunt with jacketed bullets of the same weight from the same case, though it might well be possible.

So, guess I'd have to say it depends on the bullet, the powder, the chambering, and Aunt elsie knows what else. Mebbe so, mebbe not.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote