New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Lyman 278Gr GC Load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need help here. Was given several hundred Lyman medium hard cast bullets for 375 H&H. What powder to use without a filler and reloading data. Bullet has 4 lub grooves with gas check. Advice/help appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman Cast Bullet Manual would be the logical source of data for Lyman bullets.

I don't have any experience with the H&H, but with any cast rifle load, there's a zillion ways to go.

If you can't find specific recommendations, here's some general ideas:

2400 or 4227 or 5744 or 4759, I'd GUESS 20 gr. or until velocity is 1500 - 1600 fps.

Unique, I'd GUESS 12 gr. or until velocity is 1200 - 1400 fps.

Everyone has their favorite powder for cast rifle plinking loads -- whatever is on your shelf that is easy to ignite. Avoid difficult to ignite powders like H110/WW296, but even that rule is not cast in concrete.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Break out your micrometer and get a measure on the bullets diameter.
I use that bullet in my 375 Whelen, quenched at casting wheel weights. For my rifle and bullets I used the data for the 35 Whelen with good results.
As large as the 375 H&H case is, using large bulky powders should work best for higher velocity loads.
I've used 2 by 2 squares of kleenex to hold Unique back on the primer. The paper burns up not causing pressure problems.
My ancient Lyman book says using Unique in a 375 H&H start at 13 and max out at 17.5.
Blue Dot starts at 17 and go to 23.5
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
I'll share what I have...My gas check bullet for the .375 H&H is the Lyman 375449. Using a 50/50 ww/Pb alloy I get a bullet that weighs 276 gns. without lube or gascheck. I grade them out by weight and keep the ones that run +/- 0.5 gns. from 276. If someone gave me a bunch of cast bullets, I'd weight and sight grade them before shooting, but that's just me. I use WLRM primers exclusively for these loadings. CCI-200's didn't work well at all. My lube is NRA/alox. These are all No Filler loadings. I've tried a number of powders with varying results. My rifle is a Mauser 3000, 24" bbl. Here are a few of my better loads you might try in your rifle:
12 gns. Unique...1050 fps.
35 gns. IMR 4895...1442 fps.
26 gn. Blue Dot...1723 fps.
28 gn. Blue Dot...1806 fps.
47 gn. WC-846 surplus( loads like H-335/ball C-2)....1834 fps.
I have a lot more that didn't perform as well in my rifle, but the ones I have listed consistently "chew up" a 1" target dot @ 50 yds. from sandbags. Usually with several holes touching in any given 5 shot grp.
Hope this helps...
Cheers,
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Good load data, thanks. Any suggestions as to where to purchase quality GC lead bullets? I don't cast any bullets at this time and would like to purchase some. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try http://customcastbullets.com and use 5744 for cast loads.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyK-9:
Need help here. Was given several hundred Lyman medium hard cast bullets for 375 H&H. What powder to use without a filler and reloading data. Bullet has 4 lub grooves with gas check. Advice/help appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

I shoot 377449 cast hard over 4895 with a dacron filler 2190 fps for practice and fun in my M70 three six bits. However since you asked for a load without fill then I suggest you try 36 gr of 5744 without a filler. This load runs 1850 fps out of my M70 and shoots into 2" at 100 yards. It is a fine load also.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the RCBS copy of that bullet over 49.0 gr. of IMR-4895 in my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H. I estimate velocity is right about 2000-2100 FPS. I don't use any filler.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Paul B.'s recommendation of 4895 (any flavor can work). I've also used 4064 and Varget with equal results. You can vary that 49.0 grain load up or down a grain or two depending on the powder, bullet and rifle. It not only makes a good practice load, it also has more than enough power for a game load.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your support and information. Now to reloading and shooting!

Jeff

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote