New
Find
Notify
Tools

indexing works
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday, I shot some loads from my '06 that had been carefully indexed during loading.
First thing I did was mark my mould cavities with small dimples on the bullet's nose. One dimple for cav 1, two for cav 2. After casting I sorted the bullets by cavity. When I ran the bullets through the lube/sizer, the dimples were set to the front.
Previous to this loading I had marked these cases with an indelible felt-tip marker, and all cases were oriented the same way during firing. Then these cases were similarly oriented during (neck) sizing and flaring. Finally, the bullets were seated with the dimple aligned with the mark on the case. During firing the marks on the cases were once again oriented up.
With unindexed rounds, my group sizes usually run around 1-3/4" at 100 yards and I've always had an annoying amount of fliers. With the indexed rounds my groups ran around 1-1/16" to 1-1/4" with very few fliers. I shot 54 rounds at 100 to 300 yards in a moderate amount of wind.
I could definitely tell a difference. Shooting is a lot more fun when you are hitting what you're aiming at.

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yes, indexing does work, but it should not. That means something is not kosher with the boolit fit, or just bad cases that cannot be fixed because they are not the same all the way around their center axis, or a bad chambering and/or throating job by not being straight on, or cut lopsided like a typical case is drawn. Now, indexing should be used when acute accuracy is is demand for a real reason, like for a money match, but otherwise should not because the indexing will not work anymore because the throat has been shot into a fixed pattern that cannot be round. But, if the throat ain't round to start with, maybe indexing can make that throat round. If so, then, when do you stop indexing? All these useless questions more or less makes it imperative to fix the damn gun in the first place. But now we are talking additional cost! I give up; can't win for loosing. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My question on indexing is how far should one go?

I used to measure the runout of the loaded round and mark the high side. This would get loaded into the magazine up; after sorting the best ones for the long range matches.

But if you carry this through, one could index the bullet in the mould, then index the orientation of the case in the reloading press & orient the bullet accordingly in loading. And then verify the assebly by measuring runout of the loaded round (assuming outside neck turning to minimize non-concentricity).

I just like to plink. Big bore or small bore. Pistol, rifle, cannon.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max you'll find 'tweaking' the indexing works too. To really wring a gun out I use the one case method of shooten. Loading and firing otta one case at the bench-- changing index positions can make a difference too.

The hoax/joke on some of the newbies on various forums is primer indexing....

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin: Whaddya mean, "hoax"? I've ALWAYS indexed my primers: hollow side in, flat side out. floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin, I had a lot of fun and laughs over that primer indexing! I never really figured out if some guys were serious and believed it.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Floodgate thanks.. now I understand my high rate of misfires..

Reportedly a few of the newbies were trying indexing the primers along with a diehard or two... I didn't attempt it cause I didn't know the chant which went along with such advanced load'n.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the chant is a simple incantation of boooohm, boooohm, boooohm ... repeated with solemnity and reverence.

I wonder if there is a blessing of accuracy or reliabilty; as perhaps, "May all your primers fire and your SD's be low."

This is an international forum and there should be many perspectives on this topic. But here we go, drifting off topic as what oft happened at Shooters.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boooohm.. boooohm.. boooohm it is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gas checks, too.... sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the first I've heard of indexing primers. Suppose a brass magnet would help?
I'm experimenting with indexing because every now and then I like to shoot in a CBA match. I shoot an off-the-shelf sporter rifle. I like to compete with the BR people and not come in last.
I also like to be able to shoot a cast bullet out of a production rifle and hold my own against other shooters using varmint barrels, jacketed bullets, etc.
However, most of my shooting is just plain old plinking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Max503: Achshully, there IS a way to make a brass magnet - if a clumsy and not very strong one - described in a book from Lindsay Publications. I've loaned the book out, but as I remember it, it involves setting up an a.c. coil, using it to induce a circular current in the brass (or other conducting metal), and then attracting it with a coil of opposite polarity. The photos in the book showed the device picking up silver dollars, brass washers, etc. Nice idea, but.... floodgate