New
Find
Notify
Tools

A quiet moment of reflection
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just had a quiet moment of reflection on all the good times we had on the Shooters list. I tried the book mark again, but it still says "site not found".

It doesn't look like the bookmark is ever going to work again. I guess I need to delete it, but I can't bring myself to do it right now.

We need to have a wake for the old list and all go get drunk or something. Even though we are all still here, I still feel like somebody has died.

The people are still here, but there is still a sense of change and of loss because of what Shooters was to all of us, a place that was special. A place that isn't any more.

In memory of "Buckshot" and "Bruce B" and all the other handles that simply don't exist any more.

To Shooters ......

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll drink to that!!!!!! [Confused] [Confused] [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 43 | Location: Okla. | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://urugami.homelinux.net/castarch/index.htm

this link to Lost Cajun's archives still works.

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I'm lifting a frosty Margarita [Big Grin]

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll lift a single malt to shooters.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenjuudo,
Thanks for the plug. Yes, the link still works, and I'll keep the archivves available as long as I can.
However, you'll notice the last update was several months ago. I guess I got complacent, plus, the computer that I used to capture them crashed hard (mobo meltdown). I finally got a suitable replacement, and was going to get another refresh when THIS happened. Oh, to have the board come up for 24 hours.....
But OF is correct, there were a lot of good times on that board, along with good info. I will miss the old board, and the unseen friends that drift off into the ether(net).
LostCajun
PS... Almost forgot: Yes, this is an event worthy of a good stout. Here's to Shooters

[ 08-22-2003, 21:28: Message edited by: LostCajun ]

Posts: 47 | Location: Gretna, LA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenjuudo, thanks for the tip on the forum. It worked and I started to read a few of the posts and topics. That was an hour ago. [Big Grin] Man there are some individuals who really know metal and reloading on that forum. The insert from Vertical says that they are trying to keep the talk forum intact but Vertical is going out of business. I certainly hope they can keep it together and am sorry for the business closing. A great loss to all I'm sure. However, if the new web site comes on line a posting of its address here on AR Casting would be of benefit. Good shooting, Mike

Posts: 915 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A shot of J.T.S. Brown went down the throat, while the mind remembered what has past with fondness. Another shot followed for the future.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the future, I got me a borrowed set of bolt bending blocks sitting right in front of me as I type, with my old M95 bolt clamped up in it and my Yugo M48-A sitting there beside it. I got me some torch bearing metal-fever right bad about now.

Fourtails forgets all those metal-fever madmen are now clustered close all around him as he speaks, and we are still fully contageous with all those nasty metal-fever germs. Some of our handles just changed a bit, that's all.

I gotta get me a digital camera, just gotta go and do it (and ouch the cost). I've been wanting one for years but could never justify it to myself (or to the household budgetmaster, a real tough sell with a kid in college and a wedding possibly out there in the future).

Does this list keep a searchable archives? We could spread some serious reference-style metal-fever on this list, posting pictures of project work as we go. Would the archives keep the picture itself, or just a link to a likely empty by then e-slot on some picture page somewhere?

Hey Sundog, how can we leverage this picture stuff to a lasting advantage? To keep an archive of the threads complete with the illustrations would work out how? Everyone dumps thread related pictures into one big pot that gets kept on a server?

I know it would have to make your life easier not having to post pictures for folks all the time, but preserving the info with pics intact in the long term is the rub if they are scattered all over PhotoSmart and Kodak and AOL picture pages (where they will get purged by time automatically).

Who knows how this stuff works, really? A little help here, please.

Oldfeller

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
OF, just do it. Take plenty of pictures and somehow put a sequence number in the frame using a white card in the corner of the picture. Pro cameras will do such stuff, but with college and a wedding around the corner, then that camera is out-a-line for the job. Once you got a pic, then talk about the pic using the sequence number. When all done, write a memo back and we can group the stuff as a composite on Castpics. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here comes my display of abject net-picture-stuff ignorance.

If you have pictures listed on Castpics couldn't you just slap the little address that pops up on your go bar when actually looking at the pic into a thread here and still get the same picture showing up in the thread?

Not that I would try to have my cake and eat it too, I'd want to share it with all the rest of you guys too.

OK, I recently read (in a digital camera magazine while I was supposed to be reading Shotgun Times like a good gunperson)that too many megapixels in a camera is pretty much unnecessary and it makes for very "big" huge picture files that eat a lot of disk storeage space.

Any truth to this, and if so what is a good megapixel level to shoot for? You got 1.2 up to 6 megapixels, with 3 being common and the 1.2 being the el-cheapo not so wonderful to focus cameras now days.

Mext, cameras require good close-in focus ability to take good detailed gun stuff pictures. What sort of digicamera will do a better job at this, one with a whole lot of optical zoom power or one without a lot of optical zoom power (digital zoom numbers sound somewhat bogus to me as it is all software manipulation).

Oldfeller

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys; When you come in there is a little retangular box that says last 2 days,clicking on that wikk akkow you to go back one heck of a long ways in order to check old posts.
As to the metal bending virus,just remember,that goes both ways.
Another quick thought,if any of you talk to that "carpet-dude" suggest to him that he take a look at our small game forum. [Big Grin] He otta feel right at home. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to say "Thank You" to Accurate for letting us in and a glass of something cool to drink while spending the hours over the hot pots. - Lew

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
If you have a wedding comeing up, then I would think that now is the perfect time to get a good digital. Just think of the money you'll save in film and develpeing. Just burn all the pics onto a CD for $.20 and send them out.
I have a cheseo digital camera, it does alright for most things, but won't focus on closeup shots of engraveing or anything.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
..........Oldfeller, the camera I have was a gift from the war department about 3 years ago. You could get a similar one these days probably for free :-). Mines by H-P and is only a 1 mega Pix, yet photo quality is superb as is reproducability.

To post photos here you have to have a URL, which means they're going to have to be somewhere on the net. I have mine at FotoTime.com for $29 a year for an absolute HUGE amount of space. I have about 'leventy thousand' there and haven't even used 5% of the capacity yet.

Rick

Posts: 119 | Location: Redlands, Calif | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm- Labatts, Sam Adams or Chivas Regal? Whatever it turns out to be, I thank you all for your work, friendship and support. Here's to Shooters, Semper Fi!

Posts: 43 | Location: St Lawrence Valley NY | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope the rest of the clan rallies here.....looks like a good roostin' spot. as long as everybody comes over, things will get back to normal. just consider it a new nest.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point, Jumptrap, we need to go to our all our alternative reading spots and actually rally the clan, giving them the URL for this particuar little spot.

http://www.nookhill.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=19;DaysPrune=60

This isn't actually intuitive to somebody when you tell them to go to Accurate Reloading, they can easily get lost on the way there, much less in burrowing down to where we actually are down inside the site.

Actively rally the clan boys, the feet have done voted and the toes have all been tallied --

-- this is where we are.

Oldfeller

one of us
Picture of scrounger
posted Hide Post
Derf, I think Walter's Own General Discussion Forum is the perfect place for Carpetman. Is there some way we can fence that in and lock it?

[ 08-23-2003, 20:45: Message edited by: scrounger ]

Posts: 281 | Location: Between Death Valley & the Atomic Test Site | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote