THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    577 T-Rex & 1184gr cast bullet question...(with Pic)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

577 T-Rex & 1184gr cast bullet question...(with Pic)
 Login/Join

<BMG>
posted
I am currently casting some 1184gr .587" bullets for the T-Rex. My question relates to which lube to use. I loaded up some with Lee Alox (in the tube, tan in color, solid at room temp) but it is definately a sticky lube to use.
Since the 1184gr bullet sits with 2.5 lube grooves below the neck and into the case, I'm thinking that the surface of my bullet INSIDE the case looks like a doughnut with sprinkles of gunpowder on it. What do I do?

1) Ignore it and work up loads with the sprinkle lube bullet.
2) Use different lube, a HARD lube.
3) Filler to keep powder away from bullet base/side (I don't like this idea)
4) Other?

-

I am using XMP5744 due to the large case size and low % of powder to space. I'm starting at 65gr and working up from there.

The other bullet is a 727gr solid brass projectile turned on a CNC machine. The fired bullet hit a sand birm and made a major 'wound channel'. Small upon entrance, but after 4-5" I thought it interscected with a woodchuck hole as far back as my elbow (I'm 6'2").

(ps. I'm also posting this on the Big Bore room as this is a Cast Bullet/Big Bore crossover question)

<bigbelly>
posted
After lubing try dipping in powdered moly,should peep the powder from sticking,and give a little extra lubbricating help as well.or use a powder that fills the case,any way to purchase a sample bullet.I haven`t got anything that nice in my collection,just a bullet as I know cases have got to be expensive.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Damn, does that thing have wheels and a recoiling carriage?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BMG:
A few things I run into when playing with my 500AS.
I notice the the bullet does not have a gas check,you have realize the even if you cast the bullet from wheelweights and water harden them you will still no be able t drive them faster than maybe 12 to 1400ft/sec.
If this is fast enough then all is well.
If not you need to go to a slower powder and filler to act as a gascheck or paper patch the bullets.
XMP 5477 is a nice power for reduced loads because it does not need a filler.
To give you some idea, my 500 fills with 5477 to the bott.of the bullet at 100 grains 45% of this volume is the starting point so 45 gr .
I still found lead in the barrel and had to go as low as 32grains this load has mild recoil and is very accurate.
The lube: think you did not give the Lee lube enough time to dry it will dry to non stickyness.
I use the Lee to coat the bullet after it is lubed with the hard alox lube,like to have the grooves filled.
I also use it to re enforce
the first 1/8" of the paper patch bullets this so they feed through the magazine with out damage.

Regards Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What if you tumble the bullets in moly and then, with your lubesizer, lube only the grooves covered by the case neck? I tumble some of my cast .45 pistol slugs in moly and then lube them in my Star. I don't notice the moly coming off the casting where the lubesizer die contacts it.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote