New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello Forrest et all...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey there Forrest.. long time no trade e's! Ya I've posted a few times but if that continues much I dunno.

I did finally shooten a week ago after a 6 month layoff. Enjoyed it. Lauched the LBT's at 6 otta the '03 and traded turns shooten groups at same with a friend's 270 Short Mag, aka-- the gun that barely beats a good 270 Win. Bill won BTW-- nice 5 7/8 incher albeit only 3 rds. He 'accused' me of 'sandbagging' but I'll assure you and him as I did that was not the case. Had a quick excuse though...'barrel was fouled'.

I left off with the 45/70 last having arrived then a good, consistent accurary. ES's are higher than I wanted at 16-20 fps [4759 always with 45/70], yet sans wt-ing the chg's. Loaded 3 groups of 7-8 ea weighing the first two [my chg only varied .2 at most]. One got my normal loading, the other less 1.5 grs and moly coated Bf at set 25 on the measure- or around 35% of the capacity of that RP brass. Will chrono an see what gives.

Last loading was the same bullet-- 500 gr Lie-man but nose/taper sized to 452 to fit my rifling land tops. That worked BTW Forrest. Loaded norm plus one gr of fuel.

Need to get another Lee 500 gr spitzer as I sorta chaw-d the other one with another 'speriment. And irons on that gun...

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin,

There has been some shooting done this summer.

Of interest in the 44/63 has been the gifting to me of 8 pounds AA2200, free!

I'd never used any of this stuff and I believe it is no longer available but with 8 pounds on hand I had to figure out some way to use it.

In the 44/63 I fired some experimental loads with both bullets I have for that caliber. The 480 grain GC long range bullet and the NEI 429-385-GC "Offhand" bullet.

I wound up getting the heavy Long Range bullet to shoot with 27 grains 2200 and 15 grains grits. The Offhand bullet wanted to go faster with 33 grains 2200 and 14 grains grits.

Both loads group into 1 1/2 inches at short range (100 yards). The Long Range bullet and load will shoot with the big boys at the 834 yard distance at the 2 X 2 diamond where getting more than three hits in a row is very good shooting.

As ball powder isn't supposed to shoot at all in straight cases I think the load development has gone pretty well. I intend to shoot this combination for as long as the powder holds out and see how the standard loads perform over the changing seasons.

There is more news, but this is good for a start.

Good morning,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote