New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Sizer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't like the alignment on my Lyman sizer and am thinking about replacing it with a Star. For those that have used one, are they worth the money? I like the nose down sizing and the flat punch. Anything special about using one with gas checks?
Thanks in advance.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I had the good fortune to obtain one on loan from a buddy. I personally own an older lyman. For gc bullets, nothing special, you seat the checks on by hand, and crank the bullets as fast as you can through the sizer.

Getting the lube holes properly lined up can cause a little bit of grief, and if you have too much lube pressure, you can blow the gas checks off the bullets.

Other then that, it's a great machine, and if I had the $ for one, as well as all the sizers I'd need, I'd get one. Thing is, I don't have the $ for one, so I'll keep using the Lyman.

To me the biggest benefit is speed, if you are lube/sizing hundreds of bullets at a time, the Star is a big time saver.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CGB I like you i'm thinking of makeing the jump to a star. What is the price??

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
C.G.B., I have two Star sizers and I'm thinking about buying another one. Mine are original Stars, made in San Diego, California. Stars are now made by Magma Engineering. They sell for $175 plus $32 per die. Worth every penny.

They were designed for use with soft lubes. I use Felix World Famous Lube with great success. (Formula on Castpics web site) If it's a bit cold in the garage, I put a light bulb next to the Star to give it some heat.

I bought both my Stars and several dies on Ebay for a great price. If you go the Ebay route, make sure the Star unit is in working condition, made by Star in San Diego, or by Magma engineering. There are some poor quality copies, most notibly the Phelps version. Avoid a Star with a bent handle as it indicates someone using too much pressure with hard lubes or they were sizing really hard bullets several thousands of an inch in one pass.

Regarding gas checks, mine works fine. I shoot mostly low velocity pistol ammo, so I use gas checks infrequently.

I started with an RCBS luber and sold it. The Stars are VASTLY superior. PhotonII (aka Turbo)

Posts: 10 | Location: Tigard, OR | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CGB, PM sent.
Jim

Posts: 36 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've only used a Lee push thru sizer and a Star sizer.The Star is definately worth the money.It gives you all the control you need when sizing and lubing bullets.You could have a bullet with 3 lube grooves and put lube into just one of those grooves if you wanted to.When I fit gas checks I pour out a pile of bullets,put the gas checks on a bunch of them,then just feed them thru the sizer.I've tried to buy a few Stars off of e-bay,but I won't pay almost retail for a used anything.Which ever way you go,try to get the little device that pulls the sizer die out.It's nice to have.
Ed

Posts: 16 | Location: Bishop,Georgia USA | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. They are available from Magma for 175$. Looks like I will have to save up my allowance. Maybe I will sell the Lymans (I have 2) on e-bay.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is what appears to be a new Star sizer on e-bay this morning. I will have to keep an eye on it.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also the ballisticast sizer.
http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Mark%20VI%20graphic.htm

I have one and it works well. I have not tried putting gas checks on with it yet.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote