New
Find
Notify
Tools

158 Grain LHP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As in the FBI load, has anyone chronographed this load in a 2" snub nose? Whats your best recipe?

Posts: 131 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Curiousity here. Is this for a self defense load? And do you cast?
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 160 gr. cast out of a 2 5/8" barrel. I'm going from memory here, but I want to say 1250 fps, maybe a little more. Either H110 or WW296 will do the job. Charge depends on the bullet seating depth -- not all 160 gr. cast bullets have the same seating depth -- so it would be meaningless to quote a specific charge.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 38 Special with a 2 inch barrel. I do cast bullets from time to time but I picked up a thousand Speer 158 Grain SWCHP at a store that closed down. They would be for self defense and target shooting. Thanks for the replys. My old chronograph book would have the info but so far I can't find it. Mad

Posts: 131 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have read that hollowpoints in lead bullets don't always perform like they should unless they are cast fairly soft? I've never used a lead hollowpoint against anything where I could have recovered the bullet to see what it did. I have read though that hard cast bullets will probably fragment. That may be a bad thing if it does that too early without much penetration.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BearHunter 62:
I have a 38 Special with a 2 inch barrel. I do cast bullets from time to time but I picked up a thousand Speer 158 Grain SWCHP at a store that closed down. They would be for self defense and target shooting. Thanks for the replys. would have the info but so far I can't find it. Mad

A couple of things.
Most everybody that I know that have shot the dead soft Speer lead SWCs have found their barrel with world class leading. I've become the recipiant of several boxes of those bullets. I've cleaned off the lube and swaged them into the correct size .3585.
What is a 'chronograph book' ?
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just have a note book that I keep all My chronograph records in. It save me time to be able to check loads I have used in the past. The Speer bullets are pretty soft. I really like them in the snub nose as velocity won't be high and they expand pretty well. At least there is not much barrel to clean Big Grin Thanks men.