New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of lube, and which sizer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What kind of lube do you guys use, and which brand of sizer? I have a SAECO, an old Lyman 45, and a Star. The other two get VERY little use, as it seems I am always using the Star...
And I am using Red Angel, from Thompson, on my handgun bullets, typically Lyman #2 on the rifle stuff that I size. The BPCR stuff is unsized and pan lubed, with my own version of Emmert lube.
Your choices?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rooster HVR. I haven't tried Red Angel.

An RCBS lubrisizer. A Star would be nice for mass production.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I use a Lyman 450 with beeswax/Alox in it for most everything.

I picked up a used RCBS unit and plan on melting all the old lube out and filling with my high speed Carnauba lube.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I use an old Lyman because I came by it cheap, and got a deal on sizing dies.

I borrowed my buddies Star for a few months, and regretted giving it back. It is definately my favorite lube sizer due to the speed it opperates at.

As far as lubes, I like LBT in commercial lubes, and for home brew have found moly/litium axle greese mixed with beeswax makes a great albeit somewhat messy lube.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I like the Saeco because of how heavy duty it is built, and I like the LBT lub for both hand gun and long gun bullets.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I have two Lyman 450s. One has LBT Blue for all of my smokeless loads. (rifle & pistol) The other has SPG for my BP loads.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee Push through for sizing

Lyman 450 loaded with LBT Blue for lubing.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee system with liquid alox.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either LBT, or Apache Blue lube. The Star is the better sizer. I have 2 of them and have never had a problem with them. The bullets won't come out bent as with a RCBS or Lyman. Stay away from any of the hard lubes, as they are only good for packaging and the shipping challenges. I manufactured cast bullets for sale for a few years and learned a bunch during years of testing. Most of the commecial cast bullets on the market are garbage if not only because of the hard commercial lubes the makers are using. Our company was 'Black Lion Bullet Company" if anyone was wondering. We gave it up both because of our day jobs, and the fact I could not make enough to sell AND satisfy my shootiung desires at the same time. Now I get to shoot all I make! beer

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Hi DWright
I make a semi-hard lube, Carnauba Red, it is pliable and slightly tacky at room temp. When cooled it sticks to the bullets very well. It'll stay in the lube grooves even when the bullets are damaged beyond use. There are a few commercial casters useing it now.
It holds up to high velocity and high pressures rather well. I've shot it up to 2700fps in my 30-06 with no leading or fouling at all. It is soft enough to still work in low pressure rounds like the 38 special.

It does need a little heat to flow in a luber. Somewhere around 100 F seems to work well.

If you'd like to try a sample, just send me your address. I have it in 1x4" and 2x6" sticks. It's also 100% Non-Toxic.

FWIW
Glenn.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
Hi DWright
I make a semi-hard lube, Carnauba Red, it is pliable and slightly tacky at room temp. When cooled it sticks to the bullets very well. It'll stay in the lube grooves even when the bullets are damaged beyond use. There are a few commercial casters useing it now.
It holds up to high velocity and high pressures rather well. I've shot it up to 2700fps in my 30-06 with no leading or fouling at all. It is soft enough to still work in low pressure rounds like the 38 special.

FWIW
Glenn.

Well strangly enough, I was just researching your product.

Just placed an order of 45-270-SAA's from Mt Baldy, & noticed the red lube. Frank directed me to your site.

I've been using LBT, so it will be an interesting comparison.

Couple questions:
1. Would we be better off using your softer mix for lighter (700 - 900fps) 44 & 45 loads?
2. Does your product seem to work better w/ a certain burn rate powder?
3. Carnauba has a rep for being tough. Currently using Hoppes #9 & Butch's Bore Shine solvents. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The Carnauba Red works well at the lower velocities also. The only reason I see to not use it is if you don't want to use a heater for your luber.

I shoot alot of WC820 which is close to AA9. I haven't noticed any difference with Unique, Blue Dot or 2400. It should be fine with any burn rate. I've used it in 38 special light loads, 454 Casull top end loads that shouldn't be mentioned or tried, the 500 S&W with 700gn and everything inbetween without any problems.

I haven't noticed any problems with cleaning. I use Ed's Red mostly or Hoppes no. 9 if I'm at the range(small bottle in cleaning kit).

Frank did alot of testing in various calibers to make sure the lube would work the way he thought it should before putting in on his bullets for sale.

It should be fine with whatever you are useing now, but if you should run into any problems, please let me know.

Have fun.
Glenn.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi DWright,

I still have some of your Black Lion 45-70 bullets. They're great and I wish you still made them.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cast and size projectiles for 9mm, 38 Super, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .308 rifle, 9,3 rifle, .375 rifle, and .458 rifle. (Probably missed some, but that's close enough.)

Have a Lyman 450 I bought new many years ago and a nice Saeco I was given when a friend lost interest.

Used to use NRA formula Alox/Beeswax. Have switched exclusively to Carnauba Red so I only have to stock one kind of lube. Is really, really good lube at a most reasonable price!

Have noted no cleaning difficulty after shooting rifle bullets at 2300+ fps. Takes three patches to get a squeeky clean bore.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
The Carnauba Red works well at the lower velocities also....

Frank did alot of testing in various calibers to make sure the lube would work the way he thought it should before putting in on his bullets for sale.

It should be fine with whatever you are useing now, but if you should run into any problems, please let me know.

Have fun.
Glenn.

For the record, shot a bunch of 11BHN, 45-270-SAA (Mt. Baldy) bullets lubed w/ your White Label Carnauba Red, out of my .45 Colt MG today. 800 - 1000fps.

NOT ONE BIT of lead fouling in cylinder throats, or the bore. I usually get, at least a little.

I shoot mostly lead out of my S&W revolvers, but this is a 1st for me. I'm now a believer - great product!

Kind of makes me want to try this lube on the LBT bullets (.41 & .44) I've been shooting.

Regards - GCF

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but two lubes. I use Felix for the unsized boolits so I can rub it in the grooves by hand and Lar's lubes in my sizer. I will soon have to buy more lube and I will sure buy from Lar.
LBT makes good lubes too but not any better then Glenn's at a much higher price.
I shoot heavy handgun loads and don't like Alox that much but for lighter loads it works fine.
The very worst lube for my applications has always been Lee LA, there is not enough for the barrel lengths and velocities I shoot. It would work better if real lube grooves were filled instead of just coated. Even 3 coats is lacking. Lube on the sides of boolits doesn't work for me and those Lee boolits designed for LLA don't hold enough lube. I only use it for short barrels and low velocities.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
...The very worst lube for my applications has always been Lee LA, there is not enough for the barrel lengths and velocities I shoot. It would work better if real lube grooves were filled instead of just coated. Even 3 coats is lacking. Lube on the sides of boolits doesn't work for me and those Lee boolits designed for LLA don't hold enough lube....

I have experimented w/ used Lee bullets designed for LLA, in a 444 Marlin.

Found they worked out pretty well - if they were hand (or sizer)lubed w/ soft LBT Blue, or Speed Green, instead of liquid alox. I'm sure the Carnauba Red would work at least as well.

I've tried pan lubing as well, but it's a major PITA.

Regards - GCF

one of us
posted Hide Post
for a press if time means anything to you buy a star there a real time saver. Lubes, I mostly use my own mix. But have used lbt blue soft and lots of 5050 alox from various manufactures and there both good lubes. I think if i was going to buy lube it would be lars 5050 mix of red corduba and alox. It works well and flows through a lubesizer without heat (at least in the summer) and is about half the price of any of his competitors lubes.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When my soft lube is a little stiff, I've learned to to take my work table lamp with the flex arm and place the bulb close and just behind my lubrisizer. In just a few mins. everything is toasty warm and flowing well. I think it might heat it up enough even for some of the hard lubes. Smiler

Tom

Posts: 8 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought lube from Lar45. He answered my questions and did exactly what he said he was going to do. I use his lube in my 45-70, and 44 magnum's. The lube works great. No leading. Fast shipping also. Wow this sounds like a commercial. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote