Find
Notify
Tools

Mixed lead prices (April 2008)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I have about 1000 pounds of mixed lead (in SE Michigan). Several hundred pounds was recovered years ago from a bullet backstop and melted into ingots of various sizes. Another several hundred pounds was of wheelweights moulded into ingots and some (100 pounds?) of pure sheet lead mixed in. And I have another -300 pounds of wheelweights as is.

What would be price range for this lead at today's rates? I'm downsizing in the run-up to retirement and realize I don't need to take this stuff with me.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10 cents a lb delivered to me in the UP! Id even buy you a couple beers.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
It's on the way to you Lloyd, (freight collect!)Assuming your check is in the mail. clap

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you ought to come up and help me blast a little of it into the dirt!!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good score for a good man!
Selmerfan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Run an ad on EBay (the liberal bustards) gunbroker, or auction arms and you can probably get $.50 - $.75 a pound or more.

Remember you can can ship the lead in Priority Mail flat rate for boxes only $9.00 per 69 lbs. The friendly USPS will even come out to your house and pick it up! You may just want to ship it to your retirment home rather than sell it if you want to do some casting where ever you go.

I shipped a ton or so up here to Alaska by flat rate boxes at 65 - 68 lbs. per box - 70 lb. is the max weight in a flat rate box. At the time the rate was $7.75 per box or about $.11 a lb. The mail man on this end stopped just short of cursing me out when he had to bring it to my door and the folks at the P.O. where I sent it still remembered me 3 yrs later when I stopped in to ship some more that I had left with a friend.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raw wheel weights used to go for .25 a pound, then went to .35 for several years, now the same recycler is getting .75 a pound locally. You lose about 20 percent weight when you smelt thwm down, so I would say youve got about a grand worth. A year or so ago I ran a little over a ton of smelted metal through ebay, Linotype averaged about 1.00 per pound(I paid .20) WW brought about .60 average and pure lead brought a dollar or better. China keeps buying it up it may be worth 2-3 dollars a pound in the future, just imagine if it reaches the price of a gallon of gasoline!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that why our food, drug, and toy prices we import from China have went up some much recently.

quote:
China keeps buying it up it may be worth 2-3 dollars a pound in the future, just imagine if it reaches the price of a gallon of gasoline!

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tvfinak,

It's 5:30 in the morning and I've been studying all night here at Penn State for an economics final. Trust me, you don't want to know why the prices of those items are going up. Not fun stuff....

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
matt it must have got lost in the mail fishing Big Grin