Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullet mould for the .404 Jeffrey
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted
For big game rifle competition, I am looking to work up a cast bullet load for my .404 Jeffrey, as it is too expensive to keep throwing good Woodleigh projectiles at paper targets.

I am looking to shoot 400grain cast bullets at around the original load for the .404 (i.e. 2150 f.p.s) which, with pure linotype and gas checks should be easily achieveable.

Can anyone recommend a good 400 grain, gas check mould for the .404 jeffrey?

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEI. I have a 2-cavity out in the shop that makes nice 390gr (w/gas check and lube)bullets that are within .001" of round as cast. They take 44 caliber gas checks, which I had 42 of. Nice RFN design. I will be in St Louis next week to see my beloved Cardinals clinch the division title and prepare for another world series. Check with me Monday the 27th.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
NEI. I have a 2-cavity out in the shop that makes nice 390gr

Thanks for the information but do you have the part number for this mold? I had a look on the NEI website but could only find a 350gn mold, which still looked fairly good, but not the mold you mentioned.

-------------------------------

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BB;; maybeso NEI #233, which can be seen using THE "old catalog link"on the NEI Website..It's the only bullet I've every shot in the 404 J. But that old catalog has a # of good looking designs... Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BB - guess you've contacted CBE to see whether they have a suitable mould ?

http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page007.html

Joe

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
BB - guess you've contacted CBE to see whether they have a suitable mould ?

Joe,

CBE do have a suitable mold but they don't expect to have any available until early next year, which is just too far off for my liking. Plus, I am off to the USA in late October, so I thought that I would see what I might be able to bring back with me.

-------------------------------

www.cybersafaris.com.au

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try veral smith , he makes the best of the best, hes going to do a 400 gn 416 mould for my 416 Ruger
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Bob, I have a Hoch mould made to my design and it casts a 350gn GC Lino bullet that I can get away at 2363fps over 74gn ADI 2208 (Varget) and with an aperture sight at 55 yds will print into 1.10 in. I have a target load of 63gn ADI 2209 for 1900fps and has a .33in on paper. Have also heat treated a 90/10 ww/lino blend that weighs 370gn and I can get 2420fps with 87gn ADI 2209.
The numbers on the HOCH mould are C 6610 425 345 and it was made 5/18/08.

My cast bullet is 6 from left and has the GC and lube. Happy to send a few to try if you PM me an adress.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I believe Lyman (Ideal) used to make a couple of them. I have one now which works okay, though it isn't really a .404-intended mould.

Mine is the #427103-U IIRC (the "U" is for "undersized"). Mine casts at .425" to .4265", depending on the alloy.

It also does not cast bullets made for a gas check, but by using the method described here on AR a day or two ago, it is dead easy to chuck the bullets in a lathe and turn the bullet bases down very quickly to whatever size one's gas checks need.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Bob
Like Von Gruff I to have a Hoch mould for my 404 throwing a 400gr plain base bullet. One of these is in Von Gruffs photo above next to his 350 grainer. I did not have much luck in grouping with the plain base but since corresponding with VG I got around to chucking them in a collet in the lathe and spinning a shoulder on the base for a gas check. Doesn't take long and they shoot real well now.
The profile of my Hoch cast bullet which I based on the RWS FMJ (fifth from left in VG's photo), does make for smooth feeding from the mag.

I can attest to VG's 350gr bullets having tried them in my 404. I can shoot tight clover leafs at 50m at 1800fps as a light load. Take VG up on his offer to try a few of his.

Posts: 3861 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M98,

save time and $$$, just buy the RCBS 350gr for the 416 Rigby.

Rich
4-bore shooter

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I might have missed something but how is a .416 Rigby mould going to produce something for a .404 Jeffery?

Posts: 3861 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Sorry Idaho now spot what you are talking about, all okay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RICH
my friend has the 350 gn RCBS MOULD, so yes i will try it but i want a 400 gn cast
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote