THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Re: Missouri Deer season opens Nov. 13, That's tomorow

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Missouri Deer season opens Nov. 13, That's tomorow
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The .303 Savage got a buck this morning. 180 Gr. half WW half Sheathing. About 1750 fps. Hit rib going in did a job on the heart/lungs hit another rib going out. Deer went about 10 feet and fell down. Had to drag it about 100 yards to get to FWD truck. Next the 45/70 for the doe tags. Only saw two does so far this year and they were both running. Weather first two days was great 30-40 degrees light to no wind. possible rain coming up though. I'll keep you all posted.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the successful hunt.

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Sheathing? Xray or roof? It would be like pure lead anyway ? right. Be kind of a soft bullet right? Did it look like the bullet opened up any? How did you do your PP45.
Just full of Q's with no A's. Story of my life.
Thanks Ed for the update. Very interresting. NOW LETS GET OUT THERE AND GET THOSE DOES. Need a pp45 story

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to answer all the Q's. It was scrap roof sheathing. Bullet came out the other side leaving about a 1.5" hole didn't recover the bullet. It hit ribs going in and out, so tissue expansion isn't an issue.

The paper patched 45/70 is a ~350 grain 20 to 1 lead tin mix. Two wraps of 90 percent rag airmail type paper. Speed about 1700 fps. using Reloader 7 powder. Rifle Gibbs bolt action Enfield. I was getting about 1" groups at 50 yards with this load. I haven't gotten a shot at a deer yet with this load. Buck I got was with a .303 Sav. with a cast bullet and 3031.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doe only season starts Sat. (11th Dec.) I'll give the 45-70 paper patch another chance. Didn't see a doe closer that 200 yards during the last part of the regular season. It's been getting a bit colder but no snow on the ground. Maybe I'll find a retarded doe that will get close to the 45-70.