New
Find
Notify
Tools

The end of the ooze
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lube has been oozing out around the base of my Lyman 450 for years. Finally last night it occurred to me to try to fix it. I pulled out my Bowie knife and carved my way through a wall of alox and beeswax(dragging my canoe behind me.) I unbolted it from its board and scraped up the lube. The bottom of the lube reservoir is capped by a washer, and the lube was coming out around the edge of that. I found a .100" thick washer about the same OD with an ID big enough to go over the bottom of the drive screw. I slapped it on (it stuck) and bolted the 450 back down with hex nuts instead of wing nuts. No more ooze. Hot damn. Bring on the big lube mix, Felix.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks, now I've got no excuse for fixing mine...Jeez, some guys just gotta go out and ruin it for all of us...before you know it, the wife will be naggin' me about it...."forearmed's wife has been tellin'me about how he fixed his...when are you gonna fix ours"!!! [Wink]

thanks pal,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the ooze can be eliminated by backing off the pressure collar when you are through for the day.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chargar, I would quibble with the word "most". "Some" I would accept. Obviously yours doesn't leak as badly as mine did. Gray, you need have no fears regarding wifely rebukes. I waited until Mrs. Fourarmed was out of town before attempting this. It would be an unmitigated disaster for her to get the idea that I can FIX things.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just stacked four rubber washers (about 1.25" in diameter--got from Sears Hardware) directly under the threaded shaft head. When I tightened the sizer onto it's mounting board (permanently attached) it compressed the rubber washers against the base of the sizer. Same theory, though.

You'd think RCBS would have solved this problem during product testing.

Now if my Saeco sizer could be fixed as easily; it leaks from around the die. Cranking it tighter helps, but only so much.

Posts: 68 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fourarmed,
You are a good man, keep the secrets!!!

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote