Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Are "we" everywhere ?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Aladin,
I enjoyed your exchange with that other distinguished moldmaker at that other forum.

There is a lot of truth in what the distinguished mold maker said about the drawbacks of bore riding bullets. But the real reason went unspoken -- because 2-diameter molds are more difficult to make, owing to the tight tolerances required. A 1-diameter mold can be made oversize, and the bullet sized to fit, but a bore riding mold has to drop out darned near perfect. Tight tolerances do not come easily, not even to distinguished moldmakers.

In an earlier thread, the distinguished mold maker was a little more candid. In that thread he admitted that he no longer made bore riders because "two diameter rifle bullets .... were killing me time wise."

Likewise, there was a lot of truth in the discussion of aluminum as a mold material. But the real reason went unspoken. Because aluminum is easier and faster to machine.

Honesty counts for a lot in my book.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mountaingun I was aware of those facts but my intention was to leave said 'maker with some wiggle room.

Methinks your leaning on the riders too for some of the same reasons.. I mean it HAS to be a major main to cut them indentical. But the pure fact remains.. the rider rules for groups in BR. But for all the 'know-edge' of the BR boys, methinks the same thing happens in that venue. Someone stumbles into a combination that just works... for whatever reason and they fly with it. I do think a spitzer fitting the throat and used with what I'll call 'zero rudder' clearance could do same. One of the bullets Gray shot back when was an Eagan tapered nose pour which amounted to a spitzer ogive albeit with the nose pour flat.

Another point I forgot to de-tale in a thread speaking to the BR accuracy. This is accomplished with the one case method of shooten. Load and shooten one case for the whole string. Sure points to variables in the case for consistency with cast.

Agreed on holding some semblence of reality around Veral's 'forum' which in reality is just sounding like a continuous talking advertisement. He don't walk on water and he's dated somewhat for accuracy.

What you makers could employ is the DD design.. Simplier to cut and makes for easier extraction in tight situations. I'd tap ol' Veral with that one but seenig as another maker claims to have originated it... he's just ignore or scratch dung on the idea. Course I might suggest it anyways....

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Everybody has value somewhere, sometime. The Lord says so by definition. It is up to us to see through devilish bullshit, and sometimes that is damn difficult because of the sticks in our eyes.

I agree that everybody has some value, even if it's to mulch around my azaleas.

Something I've found on the shooting sites, is that they are just any organization they are cliqueish and clanish. A newby can try to join in the tread and will be ignored by the members of that clique.
Want to see agood example of that go up to the big game/African hunting forums at this site.
Or
If some fella is contra to the prevailing wisdom. Mention using cast bullets in a 105mm howitser to hunt African field mice in the large bore forum.
Being kind, considerate and gentlemanly is not being cliqueish.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Oldfeller Wrote: I was referring to youse guys gently backing Veral up a quarter step on HBC nose forms on Greybeard's Veral forum.

Has the thread been removed? I can't seem to find it. What's the topic title?
LC

Posts: 47 | Location: Gretna, LA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote