Find
Notify
Tools

poll on Dale's gascheck tools
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Question:
Hi All! I haven't seen even one post ( good or bad) about my homemade gascheck maker. ( Piks in 'cast .308 shooter' thread and words in 'words to go with gascheck piks'. Sooo, I thought to add a poll///mostly for fun. Smiler

So here is the question.

'What do you really think of Dale's gascheck tools?'

Choices:
They Suck! They could suck start a leaf blower!
It will never work! What a moron!
Who cares? You can still buy checks.
If I had no other choice...I might try it.
I liked it.....but I liked the 'Titantic' movie to!

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I think it looks pretty cool. Infact I was thinking about it today and how to make it cut and form in one operation. I think the cutter tool/ bolt turned smooth, could have a recess machined into the face of it. Then under the block that the metal is fed through, have another bolt with the mirror image and enough clearnace for the metal to form into. Then when you whack it, it will cut and have the disk already aligned, then smash it into a cup. I liked the idea of a valve spring on top to have it auto pop back up. I'm wondering if the new formed check would have to be pried out of the forming tools? Maybe drill a small hole through and hook up an air nozzle to blast it out when formed.
I think I'm trying to complicate things too much.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm watching. It's kinda neat. I wish you had explained the process rather than trying to explain the pictures.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All! This is the 3rd time I've written a reply. My computer crashes before I can post it!

Lar! I had several thoughts but your idea is the one to focus on. Could we add 'captive' plungers with springs to both pieces to float the check from either piece? You have a great idea...Let's perfect it!

Leftoverdj! I am sorry...I'm not good at explaining...

To form the checks.....place a disc in the lower form die. Pull on the press handle to 'raise the lower die up to the form stem. Slid the bushing down the stem and 'lock' into the form die. The form stem is now 'aligned' over the disc. Pull the handle some more to form the check. Reverse the handle. If the check sticks to the stem, use the bushing to remove it. If it sticks in the form die, use the primer seater to push it up.

But what I have is ancient techonlogy now. Lar is on the right path! All at once!

To use the collet die to form the check to the bullet....

Screw the die in from the bottom. Add the modified collet and the piece that goes in the collet AND fits where the shellholder goes. Screw the die 'up' until the ram from the press cannot pinch the collet when fully 'up'. Now turn the die down until you get just the 'pinch' you want. Push a check fully on a bullet and insert into collet. Work the press handle several times and rotate the bullet a few degrees each time. It takes some practice, but good results are possible. I hope this makes more sense....Dale

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Dale, if I get a chance to dink around on the lathe this week end, I'll see what I can do. I'm easily distracted. That's why the garage is full of half completed projects and the wifes car is parked in the snow. shame

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, we got the disk cutter and the former stacked. Can we use a concentric ram operated by a cammed lever? Ram comes down and cuts the disk, outer portion of the ram is arrested, and the sliding inner portion is engaged by the cam and forces the disk through the former. Have a spring loaded scraper on the underside to take the check off the plunger on the upstroke.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All!

I was working on a design where the cutter and the form stem moved up with the press ram. The cutter would release from the stem after cutting the disc and float on a strong spring. The stem would go on up to form the cup. When the press ram came down, would pull the cutter down with it until the lock would re-engage....

The form die would be a separate piece and would bolt on with adjustment of movement. You would have to set it over the stem. But that would be easy if you keep a check to leave on the stem to center it.

Whatcha think?

Smiler Dale

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

posted Hide Post
hey guys....
I found a place where you can buy gas checks already MADE!! jump

...JUST KIDDING..... this sounds like a project I need to DO.....

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi hornetguy2
You mean I can buy them already made!??? What will they think of next??? They will probably have store bought primers soon. lol Nice of you to reply...I like humorous replies...

Dale

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear tell they sell bullets too Dale... alread made up!

For the life of me, I don't understand why someone would buy such a thing. Lazy people!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the "Free Check" tool.

The pin is for pushing the disk in once it's punched, and pushes check out once it's formed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Marlinlover!
Pretty soon you will be able to buy targets 'already shot'! The ones with the really good groups cost extra. nut

That tool looks interesting...Simple, sturdy, durable...what's not to like...( if it works good)

Have a great day all!

Dale

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Again Marlinlover!
I looked again at the piks...Got me to thinking....( Auch! It hurts when I think!) What caliber is that? Do you like it & does it work good. Tell us more about it....

Dale

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dale,

That is not mine, and I believe it's a .357.

You can find it here:

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1987&PN=1

Thanks,

Patrick

posted Hide Post
DeHillyer..
yeah, I couldn't resist.... Big Grin

Is this the same freecheck tool that Paco Kelly talks about? I've always wondered how that would work... aluminum, rather than gilding metal, or whatever it is they make gaschecks out of... would you start having aluminum streaks in your bore?
It wouldn't hurt my feelings to be able to make my own checks...

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hornetguy!
hmmm..There was this aircraft carrier in WW2 named the Hornet.... Is it this or the cartridge ( John Wayne says,'carwtridge!) your moniker refers to? hmm...Seems there is this good navy fighter named "Hornet" too!

As far as aluminium in the bore from gaschecks...never any I could find...Even at 2450 fps... But I did grease the 'L' out of the bullets (> bu--ets!) Wink

I am really surprised these thin gaschecks did so well. I would never shoot them in anything but full power loads... You can 'work' them off the bullets with your fingers. It takes a little but can be done.

Dale

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
DE Hillyer

Looks cool to me I need one in 44mag maybe you could make some and earn some extra cash.

Corbin is to proud of his and I am to cheap to buy the fancy Gas Checks made by Hornady.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote