Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjustable Paper Patch Moulds
 Login/Join

posted
Is there anyone who makes adjustable, nose pour, dish base, paper patch moulds? I'm looking for one in .400" for up to 500 gr. in pure lead, and .448" for up to 550 gr. in pure lead.
Thanks,
Byron

Posts: 22 | Location: Oregon City, OR USA | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...and has anyone seen or used one of the old Lyman "Adjustable- Cylndrical Bullet Molds?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...and has anyone seen or used one of the old Lyman "Adjustable- Cylndrical Bullet Molds?"

FWIW: Lyman 44 S which is .394 inside diameter.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=220768&c=500&z=1"][/url]

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=220770&c=500&z=1"][/url]

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trk:

I believe what you have there is not a PP cylindrical mould, but a core mould for swaged half-jacket .44's. These were popular in the late 1950's/early 1960's wghen that type of bullet was in vogue, promoted by Harvey and others. The telling factor is that the follower would be flat, rather than showing a bullet profile, and there would be no "nose" profile at the top of the mould, either. I don't believe PP moulds were amde in the Lyman loose-block era (after 1925).

Back in the Barlow/Marlin "Ideal" period, the moulds were made with blocks integral with the handles; most PP moulds were made as nose-pours, with either a flat or a hollow base (to fold the "tail" of the patch into), though a few were made as base-pours with profiled or hollow-point followers. Most of these seem to have been dropped after around 1904-06 (Handbooks #16/#17".

Of course, Lyman DID make some special-order stuff, so anything is possible.

floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to get my hands on one of those Cylndrical Ideals Floogate!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a machine shop course and build them. SLW

Posts: 59 | Location: 15758 Butte Mt. Rd. Jackson CA. 95642 | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to take a machine shop class, but there are none up here that I know of.

Jackson... man I was there last year, and wow... what happended to that place? It's grown like weeds..

..of course it had been bout 25 since I'd been there last..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

trk:

I believe what you have there is not a PP cylindrical mould, but a core mould for swaged half-jacket .44's.
floodgate

I fully agree.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote