New
Find
Notify
Tools

cast bullet loads for the Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
...does anyone have any pet loads for the .35 Whelen, using a 250gr hardcast bullet? I'm trying a load with 3031 today, but am open to suggestions using other powders. I'm thinking around 2000-2200fps will be good. Any ideas?

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a smith who shoots a 35 W Improved with 4320. Three shot cloverleafs at 200 yds mind you. Now I've shot 4320 and it's almost twin 4064 otta 06's to 2300-2400 with very good accuracy, and methinks that might work for your loading.

A caseful of Alliant 19 might shoot too..

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
hornetguy
I copied the data from the Speer or Hornady manuals for the 35 Whelen using the Accurate Arms powders to use in my 375 Whelen. I shoot 250, 265, 275 and 300 grain cast bullets using AA 2520 with good accuracy. I used the same data for jacketed bullets of the same weight for my cast bullets.
Can't see any reason you couldn't do the same.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had very good results with the RCBS 200gr. in my Whelen using surplus IMR 4895. I could go from 1700 to 2200 fps with good accuracy, and didn't need any fillers. Always wanted to try it with heavier bullets but never got a mould.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...thanks for the suggestions, one and all. I shot a few yesterday with a load of 46.0gr of IMR3031, WLR primer, and RP brass. These printed about 9" below point of aim at 100yds, but grouped very nicely at about 2". One group of 5 was at 1.9" and the second group of 5 was at 2.2". I was pleasantly surprised. Velocity averaged 2260fps. This load ought to shoot through just about any hog that ever walked, and with that wide meplat, should deliver plenty of "smack"...
Primers were noticeably less flattened than my standard jacketed loads, so I can probably go up on the load, if I feel the need.
I'm a happy camper..... now I just need to sit down and cast up several hundred of them.

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey, Nobade....
where did you buy your surplus powder, and how much did you have to pay for it, if you don't mind my asking....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I get it from three different places. Jeff Bartlett (www.gibrass.com), Pat's Reloading, and High Tech Ammo. (sorry, don't remember the web addresses for those other two, but they are on the 'net.) If I remember rightly, 4895 was running about $65/8lb. Especially for cast bullet shooters, surplus powder can really be useful. 5010, 872, 860, etc. are all really slow and often can be used to good effect in big cases for cast bullet loads. And since 860 is about $3/8lb. it's cheap shootin'.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info, Nobade.... I have pondered buying some surplus powder for some time now, but I don't want to buy 8lbs of something that won't match my application. If I knew a certain powder would work ok, I wouldn't mind buying in bulk at all... especially at 8 dollars a lb.