THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Trying to decide on a mold for my new Marlin 1895GS 45-70 Guide Gun

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to decide on a mold for my new Marlin 1895GS 45-70 Guide Gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm trying to decide on a mold for my new Marlin 1895GS 45-70 Guide Gun

I'm going with one of the RCBS gas check molds-

45-300-FN 300gr double cavity

45-405-FN 405gr double cavity

Or possibly a Saeco #027 2 cavity 350gr gascheck double cavity

I need an accurate hunting boolit for the woods. I would appreciate and need help and opinions on the benefits or down sides of either of these molds.

Thanks in advance.

ML

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded some for a friend who has a marlin. It seems to be very sensitive on length. I gave him some cartridges I had loaded for my bolt action and the worked fine in a Ruger single shot too. Had to damn near take the gun apart to get them out. We loaded some short ones and these wouldn't reliably feed. He wanted a hunting load so we finally got some 350 grain flat points set just right so they fed like butter.

Ed Barrett
AKA elbStJoeMO

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider the Lyman #457122, a 330 gr. hollow poing bullet. I've found it to be one of the most accurate bullets in my three 45-70 rifles. Of course, being a hollow point bullet, it has to be a single cavity mold, but it is a good bullet.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I agree with all your tips, but a guy over at Cast boolits kinda summed it up for me when he siad sticking a 300 gr boolit in a 45-70 is like stuffing a 100gr boolit ina 30'06, and I've probably already pi$$ed off the 45-70 gods, and maybe even Marlin..

I sorry, and will order the 405 RCBS this morning.. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
What I like is the SAECO #015 powdered by 13 grains of Unique and cast from linotype. Not much recoil and accurate. You can get this in a four cavity and used you might be able to find a six or eight cavity.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote