New
Find
Notify
Tools

CAST BULLET STORAGE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
WHEN YOU GET YOUR BULLETS ALL CAST AN LUBRISIZED WHAT DO YOU KEEP EM IN?? I HAD MY SPOUSAL UNIT KEEP VEVEETA BOXES FOR ME. THEY ARE JUST ABOUT PERFECT TO STORE HOME CAST BULLETS IN.THE HEAVY GAUGE CARD BOARD IS FIRM ENOUGH THAT IT DOSEN'T GIVE AT ALL WHEN THEY ARE FULL OF STACKED LUBED BULLETS. JUST CUT DIVIDERS OUT OF THE BOX TOPS OR IDEX CARDS TO PUT IN BETWEEN THE LAYERS. WORKS GREAT!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
...and weighs about the same as the orignal contents, too. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Chuckle
When my buddies and I get finished casting 255 grain 45 Colt bullets we put them into one of those plastic storage units, like what you'd use to put blankets away for the summer, in. Until that plastic tub is empty it ain't going to move.
For pistol calibers other then 45 Colt I use butter/margrin tubs for rifle bullets I'll use freezer bags with the pertenent info written on business cards, the bag is placed into card board boxes with the rest of that lot of bullets.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Cigar boxes. Tell the tobacco store down the street to save the boxes, and they usually will if you buy a couple once in a while. If you don't smoke, just give them to someone who does. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
plastic peanut butter jars, margerine tubs, and cool whip tubs.....

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As the parent of a future cast bullet shooter who is still in diapers, I can attest to the fact that baby wipe tubs are great for bullet storage.
I've had my wife saving them since our son was born two years ago. Once my son is out of diapers, I'll have to tell my wife we need to have another baby so I can get more storage containers...

For reference sake, a baby wipe tub filled up with lubrisized Lyman 454190's weighs just under 30 pounds.

Jason

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I second felix.

Buy GOOD cigars, they come in wooden boxes that will last a LOOONG time. And keep your boolits safe! [Big Grin]

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go to the Dollar Store and buy Tupperware knockoffs. The best size is about 6" x 3.5"x 1.75" because two of them will go in a Priority mail envelope for swapping. Usually get 4 for $1 and they are close enough to airtight so oxidation is not a problem if it's a few years before you get around to shooting them.

When I can't get the size I prefer, I buy smaller ones. Little bullets go into little boxes.

The Gladware or Rubbermade semidisposables boxes in any grocery hold a lot more, but you can't get them into the envelopes and they tend to crush when you stack them.

I'm a tea drinker so the ever popular coffee can is out.

[ 12-07-2003, 08:55: Message edited by: Leftoverdj ]

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cast boolets go in coffee cans, sized/lubed go in cigar boxes or the cookie tins that you can get at xmas time. If you don't want the cookies you can get the tins at craft stores.

Calamity Jake

Posts: 43 | Location: Okla. | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle boolits go in the special cast boolit boxes made by sierra and Hornady. Pistol boolits, being shorter and fatter, hence more stable standp, are stored in homemade 8" x 8" x 4" wooden boxes, with any ol' cardboard between layers. I only size and lubricate what I am immediately going to load because I hate to find that my nice, neat CBs are in one greasy blob. CA garages get hot in the summer! curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
picked up bread pans and square metal baking pans about 8" or 9" square at yard sales. Then build a roll around stand that holds 2 bread pans or one square pan per shelf, about 9 pans high, works for me. k2 in orygun

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my boolits go into coffee cans first. Later when they are lubed and sized, pistola boolits go into cigar boxes, (hello Felix), and rifle boolits go into bullet boxes as supplied by the J-word bullet makers. With new labels of course. Being of an older pre-tupperware zip-lock bag generation, I tend to save any and all usable containers. I just can't stand to throw anything usable out and then buy something to replace it. With pistol boolits, I tend to lube and size 400-500 at a time, I sprinkle them with mica to keep them from turning into a blob and sticking to each other. My reloading happens in our basement where it never gets above 75 degrees. All casting stuff is done outdoors.

Regards from duke.

Posts: 41 | Location: reno nv | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two cents from a pistol bullet caster.
Cast bullets go in powder cans.Originally, these cans contained 1/2 kilogram of powder.Square section cans save room, top of the can is cut to get a full section squared mouth .

Sized-lubed bullets go from the sizer machine to trays, butts are cleaned during the travel.
An absorbent paper is placed on the bottom of the tray.Bullets are stand up on paper, lubbed sides always in contact with lubbed sides.Trays are placed beside progressive reloading machine to pick up bullets directly from tray.
Trays could be video lids, the thinner one,actually it is more video box bottom than the lid.(Capacity 180/ 190 bullets)
Wood trays, 9 inch x 9 inch x 1/2 inch depth contains 450/480 bullet . The first one was a perfume box lid, when fine perfume set came in nice wood boxes,now they are made of plastic so, I make trays of plywood.
Full trays can be piled up, bullets are fitted in the tray,they remind stand up.

Hard lubes and trays maintain lube spreading under control.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to keep mine in those shiny brass tubes. [Wink]

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those shiny brass tubes are just for temporary storage until my wife (and I) can put the bullets in a sand bank. A sand bank doesn't pay interest but withdrawals are easy and keeps things in recirculation.
cukrus

"when I was single my bullets would jingle"

<shooter223>
posted
I guess I am not very inventive. I bought a hundred HD cardboard boxes from an outfit called "Uline". They come flat and you fold them. I simply write on the outside with a Sharpie pen. shooter...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised Grumble hasn't chimed in with this one, since he has a reputation for being frugal. I use Priority Mail boxes from the PO for lubed and sized boolits - works great, and I get some of my tax money back. Tony

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony, I'm reading, hoping to learn something. If I can save another penny, I'll jump on it like a duck on a junebug. <GGG>

I use whatever containers are around depending on the volume of boolits I have to store. So far, instant coffee and mayo jars are my favorites, because they're clear and pretty tough. If I ever get to the bottom of the peanut butter, I might like that container too.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumble, I hear ya'. I never worried about storing lubed boolits until I got a Star sizer - it makes sizing and lubing so much fun that I ran out of containers. The mail boxes work for me. Tony

posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had to remelt several thousand 45-70 bullets that had been weighed, sorted, lubed and sized. They developed a very coarse and abrasive corrosion, green and yellow in color,after having been stored for about 6 to 9 months. I sent samples to three different metals labs and could not get an answer as to what the cause was. In the meantime, my research on the web revealed that many substances are highly corrosive to lead, such as wood and wood products, certain varnishes, tannic acid, (found in tobacco) etc. I had been using cigar boxes but quit as soon as I found out about the tannic acid. I had also been using check boxes, and still am. They work very well for almost any bullet. I also found some heavy cardboard boxes about the size of a check box but much stronger, used by candy makers to package a pound of chocolate. I use them for 500 gr bullets. As far as the mystery corrosion is concerned, I bought a 20mm ammo can to keep all my match bullets in, so far no problems. I think the problem was the cigar boxes but cant say for sure. I know several people who use cigar boxes without problem. I fugure unless the problem is related to something in the alloy, keeping the bullets in an airtight container like an ammo can cant hurt. good luck, Joe S

Posts: 22 | Location: Badger State | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I store all of my cast bullets, after sizing and lubing, in 9mm auto boxes (light cardboard). I purchased a surplus box of these folded down 9mm boxes from Midway and each one holds approximately 60-70 315gr. .430 bullets. They then go in to the freezer, so I don't lose much hardness by the time I use them.

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Joe S,

Thanks for the heads up! I'll watch and compare boolits from the old (aired out) paper cigar boxes with those in the new wood boxes.

So far the only problem has been with those stored near a window where the temperature and/or sunshine did cause a little trouble with the lube.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote