Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum Gas Checks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted
I have been using the standard Hornaday copper gas checks for years on my cast .357 Mag and .308 slugs for my .30/30 loads. I have noted that several sources are selling aluminum gas checks at a significant $ savings over the copper checks. My question to this esteemed and knowledgeable group; are the any good and worth switching to? Thanks...

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using them for 7mm, 8mm, and 30 cal rifle loads. They work just as well as the copper versions.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that there was the Tap O Cap that you could make percussion caps fro and aluminiumcans (I have a Tap o Cap somewhere in my house) and I recall that in the old Shooter Digest or similar listings for a device to make gas checks from aluminium cans too.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Where'd you get them. I'd use them also.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of 358156hp
posted Hide Post
I think my next purchase is going to be a 35 cal. tool from Freechex. There are other makers out there, but Charlies a CBA sponsor, so I'll give him the business. I'll post results as soon as I have them. I'm expecting good things though.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Charlie is a real gentleman and makes a superb checkmaker. I have 4 of his freechex 2

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
Where'd you get them. I'd use them also.

Jerry

http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote