Find
Notify
Tools

Lead alloy compositions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I received a ten pound alloy called stilmetal(84% lead+12% antimoin+ 4% tin)is it linotype or somewhat harder alloy? what is the composition of linotype and wheelweight alloys? how many % antimoin is enough for hard cast bullets?
Best regards
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pretty simular to lyno looks like it is a little lacking in tin compared to lyotpye but it sure should make nice bullets!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I beleive I would alloy it down until the antimony was no more than 4% if you will be using it for hunting bullets.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Yspen>
posted
When I asked for lino at my local Lead&Solder dealer I was given a bar that was marked - 11% antimony , 4% tin .
Bullets from a 500gr mould weighs in at 450gr .

I have since alloyed it to give a softer cast .I much more prefer 5/5/90 - it is hard enough .

Ben

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Too much antimony. Water it down and add tin so that overall antimony does not exceed tin at about 4%. Can always water quench or heat treat for more hardness. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<45-70 Govt>
posted
I've cast and shot a lot of linotype with lead and tin added to make 5/5/90 (#2 Lyman Alloy) which is my favorite to cast with and have mixed Lino 50/50 with lead for approx #26 Alloy which works well too. I've also mixed Lino with wheel weights to get same relative hardness at #26 using SAECO hardness tester. My source for cheap reclaimed Tin dried up so have been making more #26. Have not had good luck if Tin exceeds Antimony.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Linotype is composed of 12% antimony, 4% tin, and the remaining amount lead. Monotype would be 19% antimony, 9% tin, and the balance lead. Stereotype in 14% antimony, 6% tin, and remainder lead.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote