New
Find
Notify
Tools

BD 45 Special order 6-holers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got off the phone with Chris from Midsouth.

Good news! Lee is shipping the BD 45 molds tomorrow. Chris says he expects to have them on hand by next Tuesday, and they'll start shipping them to us ASAP after arrival. We should be able start receiving them in our hot little hands during the first week of November.

When the order went to Lee, there were 28 orders. Midsouth bumped that to 30 molds, so there will be two extra molds, first come, first served. Then, we get to take care of our own -- Sundog ordered a few for Castpics to resell, too. I don't know what pricetag he's gonn put on them, but I hope he adds at least $5 per mold for Castpics.net profit. I mean, he's the one that got this special order off dead center, and I sure hope some latecomers jump on those molds like ducks on junebugs!

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Grumble, that IS good news, especially since as it looks like a few more days off in November (use or loose). I'll pour a bunch of boolits and test'em. As far as pricing??? The Castpics kitty picked up the tab (don't let Carpetman know there's a cat involved!), so cost plus postage, plus five for castpics ought to be about right. Should be ten or twelve available, but I'll let everyone know once they arrive. I have a feeling they'll go fast.... sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
[Smile] Good thing I already got one on back order.

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will accept delivery of one from the first to reply here or on Cast Boolits. I have seen the light and have realized that since I am a 45nut I oughta have one !
The 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
Just got the word that the mold (and handles) have been shipped by Midsouth. [Smile] Gentlemen... Start you lead pots....

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just recieved my mold, looks like I'm in for a longer than normal LEE-menting session. The cavities look fine though. It ought to vent well with the .012" swail on the top surface.

I'll give it a try at the pot first but suspect I'll have to give it a ride on the mill...where's my indicator?..........

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a bad omen, KJ. Is it bowed in the middle, or on one end?

This is the first report I remember hearing of a bad Lee 6-banger. Might be worth giving Lee a call to see what they have to say.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumble; The low spot was in the middle, tool marks indicated to me that maybe the cutter stalled in the center of the blocks, perhaps the table feed on the mill eas interupted and then resumed, or the quill was not locked tighly.

I set the mold up in my mill and indicated off the nose of the first and last cavity to make sure the surface would be paralell (don't need no crooked bases) and took a cleanup cut. Looks good and I don't think I've lost any significant weight.

I wouldn't worry about the quality of the other molds. I've only had to return one to Lee out of the twenty or so I've bought. This is just another example of my usual luck.

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
all right ill act the dummy and ask what bullet design this is Im allways looking for a good .45 mold

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was sitting on the table yesterday when I got home from work. ohshooter

Posts: 36 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, got 8 of them yesterday (some part of the castpics order that got this whole thing off center). Only had time and inclination to open one, and sure'nuf - daylight under the sprue plate. I'll look again this evening at the rest. Easy enough to Lee-ment, if needed. Sooo, this means that there will be 6 for ssale from castpics for cost, plus shipping, plus five bucks for castpics (for the service). Castpics is NOT is business selling anything, but did this as a service and a way to generate a few bucks to help pay for cost of the website. sundog

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00006BD45

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sundog,
I'd like to get one of the 'extra' bd45 moulds. Just let me know the where's and the how much's. I sent you a emule but I thought a little redundancy might be in order.
Thanks!

Brian

Posts: 16 | Location: Gardnerville, Nv | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just talked to Lee Precision about the "bow" in the molds. Must have been lunch time, because I ended up talking to John Lee. <G> Anyhoo, Mr Lee says that the 6-cavity molds are designed with a .010 bow at the center to allow for venting. And, he suggests trying to cast with the mold before taking any drastic actions.

But, if you get poor fillout at the bases or smearing, that Lee will repair or replace the molds, even though they are custom molds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used one of the new moulds after work yesterday. From my perspective, the only thing absolutely necessary immediately is to hone the underside of the sprue plate as it does have some burrs around the holes. I would highly recommend that this be done. I cleaned mine with a Auto Parts house brand degreaser, lightly smoked it with a wood stick match, and went to casting. The mould was preheated, and there were no visual culls right from the first pour! It works very well! sundog

<Headstamp>
posted
Good Luck with your molds guys.

I'm laughing at the disclaimer bonanza over at MSS regarding these molds.

Ah, the age of litigation is upon us. LOL

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used my mould again last night. Within a couple hours I had two 1-lb coffee cans full of really nice boolits. Now, if they shoot worth a darn, I'll be in 'fat city'! The mould pours nicely, seems to retain enough heat, and drops the boolits easily. I like the mould, glad I got it. And it makes LOTS of boolits really fast. I'll try to get some shot this weekend and give a range report. sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
My two came UPS yesterday. I'm plenty flush with BD ACP molds these days as Mtn Molds cut me a couple to fit the master caster as well. Time to take over part of the shop for a permanent casting bench setup with exhaust hood and beer cooler! BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot some yesterday. I loaded 50 with enough 231 to be a little on the hot side, on purpose. They fed and shot well in a Kimber Gold Match, Baretta Cougar, and the most persnickity about feeding certain boolit shapes and lengths, a Auto Ordnance 1911A1. I was mainly interested in feed and function, but a 25 yards they all shot pretty well. COL was 1.210 which puts the case mouth just about where the ogive starts. Next will be to run some across a chrono and see what they're doing, adjust as necessary, shoot for group, and then settle on a particular load. Then, I can load all these boolits I've cast! btw, I lubed them with the Big Batch FWFL thru a .454 sizer, and the barrels are nice and clean! I loaded presized and primed TZZ brass on a 3 station Lee Turrent, powder dump, boolit seat, and crimp. Of course, I only fired a few rounds in each, but this batch of lube does work. sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are making me jealous. mine hasn't arrived yet. What bothers me more, is i had ordered another mold and sizer a few days before the notice came in they were being sent. i had made an inquiry as to wheter the first mold and sizer could be held until the BD was ready to ship. Wanted to save on shipping. I was told no soap. But I only recieved one shipping number from them last week. So hopefully Santa will arrive tomorrow with all!

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Mine showed up today. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grrrrrrr!!!!

I recieved my BD45 today, along with another mold and sizer I had ordered.

Problem was, one arrived about 11 A.M. via UPS. Second arrived at 11:30 A.M. via FedX.

So I got charged two shipping fees. I contacted MSS immediately with my bitch. I've recieved an email and phone call while I was gone today. I will call them in the morning and find out WTF happened. I want some money back!

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midsouth came through.

Through miscommunication at the shipping warehouse, the orders were inadvertantly shipped separate. The shipping on one has been credited back to my account.

I am once more officially a happy camper.

Thanks to Sandra at Midsouth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moulds shipping today from castpics:

CB 46356
BD 89460
BA 76087
FR 72901

I'd like to announce, here and now, drum roll and salutations, that the last one listed above is going to our very own Felix as a gift from castpics for all his hard work and support. Hooo-rah! sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back to the top, AND, there are two of these available to good homes. sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sundog

Got my mold today - my lube last week

Looks like I'l be molding bullets tomarrow - YEHAW

West Creek Charlie

Posts: 25 | Location: Lowell, IN | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote