Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Bullet Engineering - new production
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Received my 'special order' 303 bullet mould today. It is a double mould with 2 different 303 cavities, a 314-190GC which has proven so accurate in a number of rifles and 314-220GC which will closely duplicate the old cupro-nickle shape for use in my 1902 long LE.

Having purchased over twenty CBE moulds through the years, the new management team have taken what was a very good product, and made them absolutely excellent. First impression was an attention to finish, thicker sprue plates, larger brass block size for more even heat distribution. I requested a double cavity with different bullet designs and a third alignment pin. These features were added for only a very modest fee above the standard mould price.

Casting day tomorrow!

http://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rainy days are best spent bullet casting, so I spent some time casting and loading both types of projectiles for the 303. Very impressed with the big 220gn (RHS of pic)with its long bore riding parallel nose that just touches the top of lands in my Martini Enfields.

I weighed the pills on a set of Dillion electronic scales and found that using the same alloy, bullets from the new mould were within 0.1gn of the old mould that I bought and been using for 15 years ago.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Started the load development today, firstly with a Winchester P14 range rifle fitted with a Parker Hale 5B aperature sight and known for it's exceptional accuracy.

220gn CBE sized to .314 - 28.5gns 2206 - 1690fps (exceptional grouping at 100yds with open sights)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey that looks very promising for sure.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your results.

Keep it coming, if it continues like this, I might have to look a little harder into one of those molds.

Mike / Tx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Final load testing for accuracy in the 303 British and 30.06 today by shooting some 3 x 10 shot groups off the bench at 100yds. It's been a very long week, about 250 rounds with all manner of loads but I have achieved very good accuracy (by open sight standards) at moderate velocities. My yardstick was 1700fps with 200gn projectiles

I even fired a group with an 1896 Martini Enfield with a very pleasant suprise!

[u]Martini Enfield 303[/u] with 28.5gns 2206 and the CBE 220gn projectile sized to .314" Ave 1750fps

[u]M17 30.06[/u] with 220gn Lyman and a very light plinking load of 10.5gns Red Dot Ave 1089fps

[u]P14 Enfield 303 [/u]with 29.5gns 2206 and the CBE 220gn bullet sized to .314" Ave 1649fps

[u]M17 30.06[/u] with 220gn Lyman and a working load of 32.5gns 2206 Ave 1841fps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is getting it done! Great work. Which alloy are you using? The pics show bullets that are extremely shiny; are you using linotype?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mix my own alloy which is 92:6:2. This is achieved by firstly casting at least 10 from pure lead and weighing them (204.5gns) then add monotype and solder until the mould will cast a projectile that is 0.97% of the weight of pure lead (194.8gns).

This method allows the caster to duplicate or very closely duplicate the alloy time and time again from scrap of unknown composition. I usually mix alloy batches up in 70-80 lb lots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
92/6/2 is the widely available commercial "hardball" alloy here in the US. I have several ingots. I may try some cast in one of my Whelens.

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep for sure thanks for the info Wallace.

The alloy I use the most is a 1/3/96 which isn't far off from what your using, and wouldn't be hard to get to what your using either.

That is what I had considered using straight up to get started off, then adjust as needed. However after seeing what your producing there, I might go ahead and blend up a small batch like yours to test out in a side by side comparrison.

I will certainly keep your notes handy when I start off.

thanks again.

Mike / Tx