Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Storage Container?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, I got some surplus powder that came without a container. What would be a good thing to store it in? I have some Clean metal coffee cans and cardboard hot chocolate cans also. Any thoughts?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean it came without a container? Did it just come in a bag or something?

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lar45,

For best storage you should use an airtight container that does not allow any light in. Store in a cool dry area. Avoid hot and humid areas if at all possible.

The coffee cans will do as a temporary solution until you get something better.

I have used a new 2 gal heavy plastic gasoline container which has worked fine for the last 6 -7 years.

Don't use glass containers.

Have Fun, JCherry

Posts: 24 | Location: SW AZ | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opaque and plastic. I suspect I would clean out and use a Clorox or detergent jug if I could not get my hands on proper chemical jugs.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
If using a Chloro or soap jug, wash out with vinegar, a tablespoon plus quart of water, to geet the remaining ph way down. Should not smell any chlorine after jug is entirely clean. Rinse real good with plain water. Powders don't like a high ph container (residue) of any sort. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the exact reason I save my old powder cans. I feel the metal ones such as IMR powders come in are the best. Second down the line for me are the Hodgdon plastic jars. Being a reloader you should save your cans for such occassions. One important thing is to make sure you mark out the old powder type and mark cleary with what you are putting in it.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought but do you have a Food Saver vacuum sealer? I always wondered if powder could be stored this way till you get a few empty powder cans. This would definitely keep the moisture out.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dunno how much of the residual solvent and moisture content of the powder would be extracted by vacuum storage. Loss of that stuff can significantly change a powder's characteristics.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Yes, it came in a plastic bag in a cardboard box. I had a couple of IMR empty cans, but they are already holding WC820 and 680. I was thinking that the metal coffee cans would be similar to the IMR ones. Or the Hot coco cardboard would be similar to the RL15 cans I have?? I've checked with some local buddies, but they don't keep their emptys.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
McMaster Carr also sells the "IMR type" cans at a reasonable price in 6's and 12 packs.

Bought some a few years ago and they will last forever.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
My milsurp powders and my container of Alliant Unique all came in #2 plastic containers. The former are essentially bleach jugs. All are opaque and apparently don't react with the various powder types. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have H4831 stored in a 2 liter pop jug [that's how I bought it] for over 10 years that has not changed per my Chrony. It is kept out of the light and dry. Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 2 liter jugs are also the best thing yet for putting up home-made beer too.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote