New
Find
Notify
Tools

Molds for Mosin Nagant M39
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just starting the reloading side for a nice M39 from Wholesale (and by the way, compared to some others I do like the way they pack rifles for shipment). I realize that powders are up to the beholder but sure could use some guidance on molds. I have not slugged the bore yet but being a Finish rifle I assume it will be in the .310 - .311 vacinity. Looks like I might be able to get by with the current Lymann 311291 or maybe go up in size to the 314299 (.314 diamater). I would greatly appreciate any suggestions from the group. Anyone every buy a mold from LBT??? Thanks, Bill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bill, I have two M28/30's and one M39, but the bore dimensions aren't the same: The former are .310" (.311" CB)while the latter is .311" (.312" CB). The only way you'll know what dia. and type (design) of CB fits is by slugging the bore. #311291 may work if yours casts large enough (mine doesn't fit the M 39). However, #314299 does and is very accurate (1-2 m.o.a. with an "as issued" rifle). 23-24gr. H/IMR 4198 or 28-29gr. IMR 3031 are good powders to start with, but others, e.g., some milsurps, will work too.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M39 is the best cast bullet shooting rifle I own. By that I mean it shoots about everything you put through it very well. My barrel measures .310 and my all around favorite load is the .311291, sized .311 over 18 grains of SR4759. It also likes the 311284 with a case full of 5010 just as much. Both are good for 1.5-2" at 100 yards if I do my part. I've just started experimenting with the Lee C312-155-2R meant for the 7.62X39 and am getting very good results with that combination too.

Posts: 39 | Location: Caribou, Maine | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Getting the barrel cleaned out tonight and will size the bore tomorrow. BTW, are there any tips out there on bore cleaning??? I read a string on Shooters.com years back that refered to steel wool, but can't bring myself to use it. Been, many many years since this Sako was shot. But the exterior blue is 97% and I have yet to see a rifle from a Scandanavian country that was not a great shooter. At least with the two sako's (Vixen and a Rihiimaki in 222) and one CG63 Swede the experience I have had is very good. The CG6 shot a 4 shot .7" group today with the stock Soderin sights. I'll let you know how things go with the M39. Thanks again for the mold leads. Bill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I'd love to see some pictures of the CG63. I doubt I'll ever own one but it's nice to hear from somebody who does.

Brother's Paul and Maineboy have both gave good advice and I have little to add, excepting that I have found 40 grains of IMR 7828 under the 314299 to shoot excellent groups. I would also suggest that IF your rifle will swallow (chamber)an unsized 314299, shoot it that way. My 39's will not and yours probably won't either...it's just an idea to ponder. SLOW powders work very well for me with cast. I happened to have this 8 pounds of 7828 on hand and tried it with cast and was super surprized at the results. I am sure many of the surplus powders at half the price (or less) will work just as well. I also have some 5010 that Maineboy mentioned....haven't tried any of it yet....I bet some compression will be needed with that stuff and a hot 215 primer would help. I forget why I bought the 5010 several years ago....probably because it was dirt cheap....think I paid $18 for 8 pounds of it!

Oh yes, should you happen to have a 311407 mould, make sure you try this in the 39, it is an excellent bullet.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul: Acording to Doug Bowser's "Rifles of the White Death" (GREAT title!), for the M39's, the Finns increased the bore size vs. the 28/30's, to accomodate the current Russian bullet specs. (GOOD thinking; let the bad guys provide your ammo stores! It seems to have worked.) floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
Floodgate, They also reduced the bbl. weight/diameter over the M28/30's. As far as I can tell, it makes no difference in 100 yd. accuracy with the "as issued" sights. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the bore slugged .3115 at the chamber and .3120 throught he barrel. Do you think I can get by with the 311291?? OR should I go for the 311299? Not terribly experienced in casting but was taught early on to size the bullet as little as possible and it paid off to date. Has anyone had any experience in lapping a mold to add a .001? Jumptrap,I'm going to try to add a picture of the CG63 if I can figure how to do it. By the way Jumptrap. I was forever trying to figure out where the people from Shooters.com went to. Then I remembered your handle and went through google and found accuratereloading.com last week. Can't forget a name like jumptrap. Used to trap quite a bit in my younger days. Thanks, Bill.

posted Hide Post
Bill , I have several molds from LBT and think they are the best of all. However, I believe LBT was temporarily "out of business" when I bought my mold for the 91/30 so I got that one from NEI and am very happy with it. I would recommend either without hesitation, but I like LBT's sprue plates a lot better than anyone else's. Joe S

Posts: 22 | Location: Badger State | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote