New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: emf 1874 sharps 45-70
 Login/Join

<Guest>
posted
I can empathize. I have an EMF Sharps, too. Everything conceivable that could be wrong with a barrel is evident in that one. The bore is oversized; the bore tapers the wrong way; there was rust in it when I got it; it has so much head space that it will not reliable fire a cartridge. I got it over 20 years ago. I went through one iteration of letter-writing with the company (no email in those days), and got no satisafaction whatever. Then I got tied up in a PCS move, and had more pressing things that needed my attention. It has just been hanging around since then waiting for another barrel. The action is decent, but the barrel and the fit-up is crap, and I certainly would NOT recommend this company to anyone looking for a BPCR. Now if I could only cut metric threads...

Resp'y,
Bob S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I can empathize. I have an EMF Sharps, too. Everything conceivable that could be wrong with a barrel is evident in that one. The bore is oversized; the bore tapers the wrong way; there was rust in it when I got it; it has so much head space that it will not reliable fire a cartridge. I got it over 20 years ago. I went through one iteration of letter-writing with the company (no email in those days), and got no satisafaction whatever. Then I got tied up in a PCS move, and had more pressing things that needed my attention. It has just been hanging around since then waiting for another barrel. The action is decent, but the barrel and the fit-up is crap, and I certainly would NOT recommend this company to anyone looking for a BPCR. Now if I could only cut metric threads...

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Bob I'd think an e campaign to the company might be worthwild now-- given the promise noted above from the compamy? Your symtoms aren't something time alters much.. Headspace issues should bring them running in today's times given the gun evident of little firing.

The barrel sounds like a candidate for some major firelapping experiments-- if the company balks. Smear some of that Veral Smith lapp'n sand or similar on the first tight area and fire over it-- working down the bore to the muzzle. This method works much faster than simply filling the bullet grooves.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"The ES is in the above post if you would read it. And NO, your thought was incorrect"

Whatever. Sorry I didn't bother.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had one of these and found that the thing was throated for Paper Patch bullets. I switched to paper patch and it shot really well. here were some made like this and they are not marked. Do you have a chamber cast?

Posts: 16 | Location: Bloomfield Nebraska | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote