New
Find
Notify
Tools

proper top punch
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone know which lyman top punch would work best for the Lee .44 cal 310gr Flat nose bullet

Mark

Posts: 27 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about that bullet, but I have two Lee .44 caliber bullets that are running 260 gr. in my alloy. None of my Lyman top punches fit, so I took a spare punch #429 IIRC, and filed the cup portion off so that it was just a flat punch with no cup left. Worked just fine. for me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I had a friend make me a blank top punch. It's flat to push on the flat nose of the bullets. I use it for most everything, rifle bullets.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take any top punch you have (and don't use) that is large enough for the 44 cal bullet, fill it with a self-leveling epoxy such as Acraglas. You now have a flat nose top punch. Plus you can undo it at any time by slightly heating the epoxy with a butane torch, then busting it out.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for your replies, it looks like making one flat is the best idea. I do have one extra that is not being used.

Mark

Posts: 27 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote