THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serious Backdoor Attack on Shooting Sports!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fellas,

OSHA is proposing a rule that would make it illegal for carriers such as UPS to deliver any Class 1 exlosive material to you at home. There is a thread with much detail on the SASS board. I picked it up on the Cast Boolits forum:

Discussion of Proposed OSHA Rule

Guys ... this one may be serious as Class 1 Explosives includes small arms ammunition, propellant powders, and small arms primers.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I don't think that any of the items you listed are classified as explosives. Black powder is an explosive, smokeless powder is a flammable solid. I don't know the shipping classification for bulk primers or loaded ammunition, but I'm pretty sure that they are not listed as explosives.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

The definition within the rule reads:

DEFINITION -(i) The term ``explosive'' includes all material included as a Class 1 explosive by DOT in accordance with 49 CFR chapter I. The term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite, black powder, pellet powders, detonators, blasting agents, initiating explosives, blasting caps, safety fuse, fuse lighters, fuse igniters, squibs, cordeau detonant fuse, instantaneous fuse, igniter cord, igniters, pyrotechnics, special industrial explosive materials, small arms ammunition, small arms ammunition primers, smokeless propellant, cartridges for propellant-actuated power devices, and cartridges for industrial guns.

Hope this turns out to be incorrect, but if it is not ... we have a very serious problem!

The entire text of the proposed rule:

Link to proposed rule

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
ThAt's the point M. The Gov. cna classify anythign it wants in any way it wants. We have a 2nd ammend. right to keep & bear arms but not ammunition or components. The gov. could easily make it too expensive or just outright ban reloading. They can also ban interstate commerce of anyhting they deem unsafe or illegal. thumbdown

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote