New
Find
Notify
Tools

311041 & TOP PUNCH...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The catalogs and manuals recommend the #8 top punch for the Lyman 311041. That is what I have been using but it doesn�t come close to being the �exact� size to fit the end of the bullet. I have noticed that this allows bullets to be pushed into the sizing die a bit off of perpendicular. Does anyone else use a different top punch for this bullets? Thanks�BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 429, which is made for a .38 SWC bur has a larger nose than the 311041. You might try any flat point punch that will clear the ogive on your bullet. HTH curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a spare tup punch for the 44 caliber semiwadcutters, so I carefully filed the cup part off. I use it with all my flat nosed bullets. Works just fine as long as you start it carefully.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't use top punches with my Lee sizers, but...

Seems to me that getting a too-big punch and using some JB weld or similar in the cup would make a custom formed nose punch. Just grease the nose of the boolit so it won't get JB-ed into the cup of the punch.

[ 11-08-2003, 21:20: Message edited by: grumble ]

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I "fixed" a top punch made for a roundnose bullet so it wouldn't distort flat tipped ones by filling the cavity of the punch with RTV silicone. It's soft and gelatinous, but an incompressible fluid. I later removed the stuff easily and use the same punch for the bullets for which it was intended.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i think i'm using a 465.....better than a flat punch.....and the distortion , if any,is minimal and sorta matches the nose.

Posts: 55 | Location: aurora,co | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem with that sloppy-fitting #8 nose punch, and went to a #413, which fits on the ogive of 311041 and works well.

Posts: 23 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all replies. I will try the 413 and 465 before I try to �fix� one of my existing top punches. I am a bit lazy that way!!! As popular (well, maybe it ain�t!) as that bullet is, you would think a top punch to exactly fit the ogive would be readily available. It�s a dang good shooter in my Model 94�s and a dang fair shooter in my Super 14� Contender�both 30-30 Winchester caliber of course�BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote