Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.177 Viper molds
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
A suggestion here folks. Find the exact dead center spot on the back base of this projectile, and make it a hollow base. Do some experimenting with drilling out the base, as far as size and how deep. This will lighten it up and also change the balance point. So some experimentation is needed. But it must be exact dead center, otherwise it will be to unbalanced as far as wobble, spinning in flight. Maybe worth a try. Just my $.02.

Ok, back from a snack and cig break, and ready to add another $.02. For whatever it's worth..lol. If the rear skirt is being sheared off for whatever reason, lack of lube or air pressure behind projectile. Might I suggest just removing the small rear skirt portion and with a hollow base already drilled, simply punch (flare out) the rear base a tad. Not to much, just a hair over bore size. So when pushed into the barrel, the barrel itself will resize the rear end.

Another idea would be make this small pointed projectile into a hollow point &/or hollow base also. Just typing down my thoughts, if it helps any. To little time on my hands right now for me to try and get this worked out. Maybe some of you guys with the fancy bullet making programs can can enter the data and then not as much experimentation would be needed. HTH - Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
More info; the bullet casts at 23.6 Grains with stright roofing lead. It looks so tiny it really suprised me that it weighed so much. With a hangover this morning I cleaned the barrel of the Gamo. I usually clean every 500 shots with pellets and a little Ed's Red (home made) and 10 or 12 dry patches and she's good as new. This morning it took three times that much to get her clean. I don't have any silicone oil, Gamo says never to use any type of oil in the chamber, so I tried a little water based cases lube. 50 to 60 percent keyholed at 33 feet. Tried some more dry with the same results. Cleaned barrel again after 30 shots, it was as bad as previous cleaning. I would like to hear from anyone with a faster twist than the Gamo.

As an aside I saw that they are selling 17 Cal. barrel liners for 22 mags to rechamber to 17 mag do these have a fast enough twist to stabilize the Viper?

I'll post more if I get anything to change.

Ed Barrett

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, I got my mold when I went to the mail box this morning to pick up the Sunday paper.

I have cast some out of water-dropped WW metal (23.2 grains) and am waiting a day for them to fully harden to maximum hardness. I plan to seat them with a pellet seater a quarter inch on up into a silicon oiled bore with them being silicon oiled as well. This will max out my pellet rifling pick-up hardness and get me as firmly rifling engraved as can be before the boost starts.

Plus I will rag filled cardboard box trap my pellets so I can look at them after firing. I shall set out my Chrony as well so we can see how fast they fly (or tumble as the case may be).

Change channels over to Cast Boolits, I will post all discussion past this point over there as it does do better with pictures and such, plus the author editing of posts stays "live" forever.

(I hate not being able to change an incorrect typo'd load reference after a few days time and won't post any real substantive work in progress on Accurate Reloading any more because of this lack.)

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK I'll check over there, I use both boards.
Ed B

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Can you post the cast boolits URL? I haven't been there and it looks like a place I should check out.

Thanks,

Mark

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well I just got my mould, so I'll see if the gods will smile down and give me a little free time tonite.

I haven't registered on the Boolit forum yet so I'll post my thoughts here. If mine show evidence of tumbling I am going to take a piece of plate steel and drill a .178 hole in it then experiment with progressively shortening the bullet, both from the base and the nose. I think it will be the quickest, simplest, and most uniform way of modifying such a tiny hunk of metal.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote