Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on sizing die diameter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
From what I remember I need to size my bullets .001" over bore size.

My Ruger NMBH in 45 LC runs .450" and my Ed Brown Special Forces runs .4515" to .452".

So I will two sizing die sizes, .451 for the Ruger and .452 or .453" for the 1911, right?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lore has it "bullet diameter" for jacketed bullets and "bullet diameter" or .001 over or ??? Sometimes more... Not a big deal with lead or jacketed for that matter if the "round" chambers.

Keith ranted on that you should measure and "uniform" the cylinder chamber mouths of a revolver for best performance and use that measurement for the bullet, you want it to seal and the taper in the back of the barrel will squeeze down about whatever the cylinder mouths take... within reason...

b). .45 (Long) Colt is often factory loaded with a hollow base bullet for the old .454 barrels and the newer .452 barrels. I really wonder if yours is .450. That seems small for .45 Colt.

Auto? You have to have the ammo feed or you got big trouble fast. I would work from that point.

Bottom line? What does the gun like? What "shoots best" overrules all the "lore" / "formulae" etc. LUCK.