New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee 148 wc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 6 cavity lee 148 grn wc mould that states no sizing tumble lube.I don't have any alox and use a lyman 450 lubersizer. Have any of you guys ever used a bullet like this and not sized it and just used tumble lube.

Posts: 44 | Location: NY | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, works fine. Lee Liquid Alox is pretty good stuff, just not for high pressure rounds. I use it on a lot of handgun boolits, not just those designed for it.

Main thing to watch for is that the boolit is a thou or two larger than the grooves in your barrel. Tumble the boolits in a widemouth jar or a baggie, then spred them out to dry. You can speed up the process with a hairdryer, um, I mean heatgun (that's more manly). Sprinkle them with motor mica if you don't like sticky boolits.

I usually cut the Lee Alox with mineral spirits, about 50%. It applies better and more evenly, and doesn't leave big globs on the boolits.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally shoot mine unsized and tumble lubed. You can run them through your lubrisizer if you like if you are using a fairly soft lube. Those little grooves will take conventional lubing.

I've just started playing with some stuff called Rooster Jacket. It goes on easier than Liquid Alox and dries fairly hard rather than tacky. It's a lot less messy and somewhat cheaper. Seems to work well in the lower velocity ranges.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to find some of this rooster jacket. Sounds interesting. Does Midway carry it? Not that theres anything wrong with liquid earwax. Been shooting that stuff for 10 yrs. Also, what does "lower velocity ranges" mean? I'm shooting a 260 gr. bullet outta a 44 mag. Maybe 1150, 1200 foot seconds. Inquiring minds want to know.!
Regards, Jeff

Posts: 39 | Location: S.E. MI. | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
54Jeff, I got mine from Rooster Laboratories in Kansas City. I'll see if I can dig up more info. Half gallon was $25 including shipping and a couple of tablespoons will do 300 or so .38s.

I'm not real sure where the cutoff is. 1000 fps for sure. Past that might be iffy. I've gone up to about 1200 with good results, but that was in a carbine.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also how far down do you seat them. I'm going to shoo them in a S&W model 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
what are you useing for a load with that?? (powder,grs.). i load mine with 2.7 gr. bullseye and seat em flush with the case mouth.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
The info I promised is:

Rooster Laboratories
PO Box 414605
Kansas City, MO 64141
816-474-1622

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't I read a while back that the particular Alox used in bullet lubes is no longer manufactured?

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tasco I am going to work up a load with Win. 231 with win primers. I just didn't know if the WC was seated flush with the case mouth and you have answer that for me. thank you all