Find
Notify
Tools

New double pistol for me.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, I got crazy and picked up another double pistol.

I cut some 45colt cases down to .93" and they chamber alright. It has quite abit of rust in the barrels, so I'm scrubbing with Ed's Red. I took a chamber cast and it looks like the case length should be about .9" with .487" at the base and .480" at the neck. It has 6 groove left hand twist. Haven't measured the rate yet. Just past the throat it is .440x.449" and about 3/4" past that it is .436x.445". I have looked in my cartriges of the world book ,but can't seem to find anything real close to this. Anybody have any ideas on which cartrige this is chambered for? I'll probably have to take a 45 lead round ball and push it all the way through the 5.5" barrels to see what the minimum measurements are. I'm thinking that the BD45 will be the boolit for this. I may just have to size it down some. Gun has Blegian proof marks. I'll have to check, but they look like the Nitro Proof marks. I'm thinking that I'll either load with Black or something really light. Thoughts here?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try and get some RB-17, that stuff is great on taking rust out or off of steel, I use it on lots of stuff, and it's the best at helping to remove rust and scale out of old barrels.

regards,
graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Where do I find RB-17? I've never hear of it. I have been scrubing with Ed's Red, and today I thined some FWFL with a drop of Ed's and wiped it on the deeply pitted areas thinking it may stay there and inhibit further rust.

??

one of us
posted Hide Post
lar 45:

I've checked Erlmeier-Brandt, Vol. 1, and the Austrian 11.2 mm M1882 Gasser comes closest; essentially the same diameters - head, neck and bullet - but cases are 1.143 - 1.165" long, and look a a bit heavy for the lock-up and close-coupled hinge on your specimen. The French 12mm M1873 looks more in proportion (a friend had one of these and shot it a lot using swaged and shortened .45 Colt cases), but it is only 0.464" - 0.468" at the head, and is only about 0.6" long. There was an 0.783" - 0.787" long Navy version, but still undersized at the head at 0.468" - 0.469". E+B Vol. II shows a whole raft of British .450 Long rounds that are also fairly close. I suspect it actually used a Belgian knock-off of one of the .44 / .45 Redcoat "Bulldog" rounds, with a short case and a poorly-defined bullet throat. Sorry, that's all I can come up with.

floodgate

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I slugged the bore with a lead ball and it comes out at .451 so I think the BD45's will see some use here.

This one has Nitro proof marks on it. I'm wondering if I keep the pressures at or around 10k if I could shoot smokeless in it? Quickload shows I can get 700-800 fps with 2400 and stay below 10k with a 230.

Shown is the chamber cast, the 45x.93 next to a 45colt case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fine winter project. Where do you come up with all these double pistols. I haven't seen more than twenty in my whole life and I'm no spring checken. <G>

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I just keep looking and checking. The one that got away was from an importer in Florida. He found a 16 bore centerfire with Ivory grip and gold inlay in about 90% condition. I should have morgaged a kidney for that one.

The twist on this one is 1:16 so it should be loader friendly.