New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody paper patch?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any good sources of information for paper patching bullets? I cast up some pure lead slugs last night. The only info I have is one page out of the Lyman CB manual.
I'm trying to make 44 cal deer hunting loads.
Thanks in advance.

<xs headspace>
posted
There's a great book, called The Paper Jacket or The Paper Jacket Bullet, by Matthews. I did 45 cal, by sizing my 405 gr 20-1 soft cast bullets in a .452" pistol sizing die, and wrapping them with a damp double wrap of 8 lb onionskin 50% rag, typewriter paper. Don't know where that paper is sold anymore. Basic idea is to cut the patch with 45 deg ends, so they almost go around twice(1/16"gap is ok), and leave a tail long enough to twist to 1/8" long at the base. A strip of beer can aluminum makes a good cutting guide when you get the right shape-a razor knife can cut 6-10 thicknesses at once. The front should go 1/3 up the ogive. Roll when paper is damp, let dry and shrink, and I rubbed Lee liquid Alox into the patch, for waterproofing, and lube. Would shoot 1 1/2" at 100 yds, at 1800fps, with the 2 1/2X scope, if I didn't flinch. Base papers with tails would be found about 50 ft from the bench.

<xs headspace>
posted
PS--Recently, I looked at the paper filters for coffee, and thought they would make good patches. I think they have a high rag content, and don't rip when damp. Worth a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The coffee filter paper seems thick. I need to find some thin paper. In the mean time I'm experimenting with bare (lubed) soft slugs and inverted gas checks. Got ten of each loaded up. Just need to try them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I discovered some erasable typing paper (Eaton's Corasable Bond) from my college days and used it to paper patch some CB's for my 8mm Mau and .45-70. However, I also discovered that you can use plain white copy machine paper, but you must wrap it carefully (2 turns) around the bullet for it tears easily. Btw, when paper patching,you generally increase the CB diameter .008", possibly .009" (depending on the bore of the .45-70; mine's .459"). Accuracy was excellent in both guns with both varieties of paper.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried plain-old copy paper and it tore very easily.
I read somewhere that you can use full-size slugs, cast them soft, then wrap them and size them down. That's what I'm going to do. We'll see if it works. I cast my slugs from old roof sheathing and they are very soft.

<xs headspace>
posted
Never tried sizing after wrapping. The sizing to .452" was before wrapping, and was much easier if I rolled the slugs in Lee alox before sizing. Reversed gaschecks are only good in compressed loads, and not great for accuracy even then. The sizing down makes room for the paper-if you don't, the mouth of the 45-70 case is too tight for the chamber-I know this the hard way. Lubing after patching with alox helps the paper stick, and not tear when loaded in a lever action. Soft lead without grease grooves will lead up on the second shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the mean time I'm experimenting with bare (lubed) soft slugs and inverted gas checks. Got ten of each loaded up. Just need to try them.

Well, I shot those 20 rounds today. Results with both loads were abysmal. 1' groups at 65 yards. This gun will easily do about 2-3" groups at that range with just about any reasonable load.
I'm still going to patch some of those and try them, but it looks like I'm going to have to go back to shooting lino. I'll just have to be very careful about shot placement because lino won't expand at all.
BTW neither load leaded the barrel to any great extent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent Danielson is probably the authority on paper patched bullets.
http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your replies.
It just so happens I got some lens paper in yesterday. How convenient.
I will post results, probably early next week.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could not get the lens paper to work. Being so flimsy, it stretched and tore. It didn't stick. Maybe I got the wrong kind.
I'm going to try some vellum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some nine pound high cotton content bond, what used to be known as "Onionskin" before copiers and computer printers became commonplace. It may be hard to find.

<xs headspace>
posted
Yes the 50% rag 9 lb onionskin is what I used for patching my 45-70. Still have half the package I bought in 1989. The bullets were just Lee hollow base 405 gr, alloyed 20-1, sized down to .452 in an ACP lube and size die, so the two layers of paper you need to wrap don't make it too large for the chamber. And don't forget to flare the case a little, to keep the paper from ripping. I used to keep the stack of precut wrappers under a damp sponge, so they shrank down, and gripped the bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice 3 ring booklet called The Paper Patched Bullet By Randolph S. Wright I got this from C Sharps Arms Co. 100 Centennial P.O. Box 885 Big Timber Montana 59011 lots of illustrations .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I tested same paper patched bullets with my High Wall, but I´m not satisfied with the accuracy. I don´t know whats wrong, the paper, the lead or the powder charge?
But the rounds looking like as in the old times. Roll Eyes

[url="http://www.huntingpictures.net/photoview/004597"] [/url]

50m group

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Looks like your patch does not extend far enough up the bullet. It needs to end high enough, at a tapered part of the bullet, so it enters the rifling witout tearing. I bevel the base of my bullets slightly before wrapping, to keep the base from ripping the patch when seating. Also, the alloy should be soft-20/1 lead/tin. Lee liquid alox lube is nice rubbed into the patch, for waterproofing, and keeping the patch together while handling.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
next time I will change the patch placement. The Lee lubricant is a good idea for waterproofing, I used beeswax, but I will change by the next tests.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
You got me back into making some paper patch loads for my Marlin. This weekend, I rolled up some using a Lee hollow base 405 gr bullet. Sized down in a .451 die, and patched with the thin typewriter paper(.0015" thick). Loaded 52 gr old IMR3031, with a WW mag primer. Groups were 2" at 100 yds. Good enough for deer and bear, considering my tight grip hold off sandbags, and a 2 1/2X scope. Recoil sehr stark! This mold is a nose pour, and the bullet base is somewhat raggedy from a loosely fitted base plug.