Find
Notify
Tools

Our bullets are the best!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Our bullets are the best, or so each bullet maker claims.

What would be an interesting thread would be one featuring cast bullet testing. Frequently seen and read about with hunting bullets.

Example:

44 magnum - pick one cast bullet size and type.
Let's say 240 grain SWC.
Take 5 to 10 from several different manufacturers.
Load them the same; same brass, same powder, same primers, same seating depth.
Shoot groups of 5 from the same gun, using the same rest, same general conditions.
Same distance, 25 yards would be a good one.

Report results, including gun used.....I believe it would be a good guide.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Like most of this type of testing it is more a compatability of bullet to a particular barrel and may have a totaly diferent result with another barrel.
Cast bullets more so than jacketed are more prone to particular fitting to individual barrel specifics and a test as indicated may not convey much information relevant to another gun.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Now you are complicating the issue.....even jacketed bullets may react differently to different barrels.....

The result of this type of testing is not intended to reach a scientific unqualified conclusion, but to serve as a guide.

I would assume that the diameter of the bullets used would be the correct diameter for the gun being used for the test.

It sure beats taking the bullet maker's hype that his is the "best" bullet.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to cast bullets, FIT IS KING!! Slug your barrel at both ends and run one slug through the full length of the bore (in a revolver slug the cylinder throats as well). Once you know what your firearm needs get (or cast) a slug that is between one and three thou. larger than your firearm's throat. On a revolver, if your throats are smaller than your bore expect the gun to lead.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R D McMillan:
When it comes to cast bullets, FIT IS KING!! Slug your barrel at both ends and run one slug through the full length of the bore (in a revolver slug the cylinder throats as well). Once you know what your firearm needs get (or cast) a slug that is between one and three thou. larger than your firearm's throat. On a revolver, if your throats are smaller than your bore expect the gun to lead.

Good advice and well taken.....but once you have that done, and I have done it with my revolvers, the test I suggested can be of value.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
I would try this test if I had a machine rest for pistol or a 44 cal rifle. It would inherently depend on the shooter skills. I do not have a 44 any more but do have several 357's. I will do a sandbagged test on 158 swc's if someone sends sends them to me unsized or sized to .359,GC or not as I cast my own.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R D McMillan:

A cast bullet should fit the throats, not be larger. They should push thru the throats with a bit of force, but not too much. I think you are confusing throat's with the forcing cone of the barrel. Also idealy, the bullets should then be groove diameter, or no more then .001 larger then groove dia.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOOP's---Absolutly right! Light press fit it is!

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote