New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good news in Missouri
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jefferson City, Missouri - This afternoon, shortly before 3:00 p.m. central time, the Law Enforcement Alliance of America (LEAA) applauded the latest state to pass legislation allowing law-abiding citizens to have the choice to carry a firearm on their person, concealed, for self-defense. Today the Missouri state legislature overturned Governor Bob Holden's veto of legislation that would allow Missourians to join the other almost 40 states in America to trust its citizens with self-defense. The override vote today was historic since the legislature has voted to override the governor less than ten times in nearly150 years!

In a surprising turn of events, more members of the House voted on 9-10-03 to override the veto (115) than voted for passage on the original bill (110). On 9-11-03, 23 Senators voted to override the veto when only 22 voted for passage of the original bill. While applauding the legislature's action there is sharp criticism of the Governor and the media's coverage.

Speaking from Jefferson City, James J. Fotis, Executive Director of the Law Enforcement Alliance of America (LEAA) said, "This legislature, with this strong override vote, has sent a clear message to the Governor... These legislators trust the citizens with the same rights most other Americans enjoy, while clearly the Governor does not!"

They even had one of the lawmakers, who was called up for active duty, get a special leave to come home and vote.

elbStJoeMO

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, great report, and GREAT DAY (for all Americans)!!! I roam from the house once or twice a year, and it's nice to know that the Show-Me-State is 'in line'. Now all we need is some reciprocity.

Personally, I think all this permit crap should have never happened, and before that it should have been 'accepted' as in the Vermont style law at the federal level. BUT, since we have to do it this way, then maybe it will be done for good, forever! Screw the Brady Bunch (and their ilk) and the elitist liberal truck they're riding on! Hmmmm, domestic fifth column? sundog

extra comment: I was at the US Army Sergeant's Major Academy in '87. A classmate (Guardsman and a great soldier!) and his wife were both LEOs in Miami/Dade when the Florida law was enacted and implemented. It was interesting getting their first hand impression of what was going to happen and then watching what transpired. Speculation from everything from shootouts in the streets to you name-it. Of course, we all know now what's come of it.

[ 09-14-2003, 18:20: Message edited by: sundog ]

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, HOORAY for all you Missouri folks and America as well; can't tell you how depressed I was when yer gov.(i know whats best for you peasants, sides theres mo city slaves and Annheuser Busch on my side)vetoed the original bill. May the dignity and vision of 1781 live on, in spite of the modern morass in which we live.

Thanks for the great report! ---kid---

Posts: 31 | Location: Arizona, cerca de la frontera y lejos de D�os | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Sundog, I believe that our new law does indeed have a reciprocity clause in it. If you are licensed in another state Missouri will recognize it. Now I can use more cast bullets practicing with my CCW guns. (bg) Fuzzy

Posts: 14 | Location: North Missouri | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not want a CCW to carry a weapon for personal protection, but I do want to be able to drive to and from the range, or other places, and if I am driving in a station wagon or similiar vehicle, without a locked trunk, I will not have to have a lock on each and every case that has a weapon in it.
Many of my gun cases do not have provisions for individual locks, or I have long since lost the keys. - Lew

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote