New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helo hog shoot on TV 8-26
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While flipping through the channels last night I saw an ad for some sort of hog weekend or something. Wasn't really paying attention UNTIL they showed Ted shooting hogs out of a helo. I think the airing will be some what controversial, what in hunting isn't, but it should show the public what a problem we have here. i watched a show on this a couple of weeks ago and it was an accurate portrayal of the hunt. This appears to be the same ranch.
One thing I noticed is they finally have their weaponary squared away. I have always used a semi-auto with a red dot while all the other shooters have used a shotgun. We out kill the shotgun 5/1 and use less ammo, 1/1.35 kills/bullets shot.
One thing you cann see from the air that you can not appreciate from the ground is the herd sizes, 10-30 hogs per. I hope people will realise that to have enough hogs to hunt from a helo to make a show you have to have too many.
We process as many hogs as we can and distribute the ground meat to orphanages and various other faith based organizations. Hope thes guys do something with all that meat.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that using a rifle would be better than a shotgun but this still needs to be done and on the wholesale level. Statewide.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much talk about hogs but I was looking for a ranch to shoot lots of hogs and no one could find one!

Posts: 2552 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry,
What network/channel will this air on?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either The Outdoor Channel or The Sportsmens Channel, not sure which. "Pigman, The Series" is hosting it I think, Ted Nugent was in the helo for the promo.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
So much talk about hogs but I was looking for a ranch to shoot lots of hogs and no one could find one!

I find that hard to believe. Where were you looking?

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Vertex Tactical Aviation, I am planning a trip for my son and I. I will give this to him for a Christmas present.They run a deal for two people, 2 hours of flying a piece, 200 rounds using an AR15 and a 5 min. hero video. Go to helicopterhuntingsafety.com for more info and a video.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy W Martin:
Just got off the phone with Vertex Tactical Aviation, I am planning a trip for my son and I. I will give this to him for a Christmas present.They run a deal for two people, 2 hours of flying a piece, 200 rounds using an AR15 and a 5 min. hero video. Go to helicopterhuntingsafety.com for more info and a video.

You are in for the time of your life! It is great sport.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helio hog hunting, Pigman series, APORKalypse Now, Aug.26, 10:00pm Eastern, Sportsman channel.Can't wait to see the fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

As a long time aviation professional and having quite a bit of experience doing low level work. I just want to mention here, and I'm not trying to sway your decision one tiny little bit on whether to do a helicopter hunt.

I just want to mention that flying low level in a helicopter ESPECIALLY in a low rotor energy bird like an R-22 while chasing critters is possibly one of the most dangerous things you can do in any kind of aircraft.

I don't care what they tell you. I don't care what their current safety record is, it can and eventually it will change in a fraction of a second. You fly low enough for long enough and chances are you're going to have an accident.

Once again I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here but folks need to be aware of the danger involved in this kind of flying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am no pilot but I agree on the danger involved. We have already had three helo accidents in Frio county shooting hogs. Two were deadly and the third all survived but were banged up and burned.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
It will certainly turn some heads, Nugent takes several hogs on that show with his FULL AUTO Ar. Looks like they had a blast and they took over 200 hogs that day!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Gentlemen,

As a long time aviation professional and having quite a bit of experience doing low level work. I just want to mention here, and I'm not trying to sway your decision one tiny little bit on whether to do a helicopter hunt.

I just want to mention that flying low level in a helicopter ESPECIALLY in a low rotor energy bird like an R-22 while chasing critters is possibly one of the most dangerous things you can do in any kind of aircraft.

I don't care what they tell you. I don't care what their current safety record is, it can and eventually it will change in a fraction of a second. You fly low enough for long enough and chances are you're going to have an accident.

Once again I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here but folks need to be aware of the danger involved in this kind of flying.

Having spent more than a few hours as an observer in a variety of law enforcement helicopters (from bell 47's to hughes 500's), I KNOW that surestrike is correct. Our agency has operated a large fleet of rotor craft since the late 1970's and has only suffered two crashes. Sadly one of them killed one of my best friends when they lost power in a low hover at night while checking a vehicle in a canyon. The other was a controlled hard landing (severly injuring the observer) when a lifeguard they were transporting lost control of a towel that flew out of the cabin and into the tailrotor. Bad things happen fast at low altitude and low speed.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike

You only have to look t the crashes in Australia
and NZ to see how dangerous it is.

And especially as the one's in Aus on cattle stations are often low hour pilots.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote